Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that for many senior students it becomes not that easy to choose an original, innovative and at the same time a doable project. Especially when it comes to engineering or science. Many students ask for help with ideas what such project could be about. I was wondering if there is a website where you can go and discuss some ideas or find advice regarding project topics.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It's not easy. You have made a start asking on TSR. But discussing in an open forum is risky because there are hardly any fully qualified engineers on here and most undergraduates in engineering will be in the same position as you.

If you can get out and talk to local industry, make some good contacts with them, that is a good option. That could give you plenty of inspiration and offer you the opportunuty to follow through on the project and may even lead to employment.

Of course, you would be doing the work for free and the rights would pass to the company, but in return you will get your project paid for and have access to other engineers from those companies to help you.

Another way is to find out who is doing doctorol engineering research at your uni. Go and talk with them. They may have requirements that could lend themselves well to undergraduate projects.

I did my Masters project with a major aerospace engineering company, where I developed an ultrasonic welding control system for Silicon-on-Sapphire (SOS) semiconductor, wafer to lead-out bonding. There was no way I could have done it without free access to their fabrication and manufacturing clean room facilities, equipment and engineers. My viva voce had to be content with a video presentation of the device in operation and the electronic kit sat on a desk beside me for obvious reasons.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Uberteknik,
    I hear you and I totally agree with you. All good thoughts and advice.
    The only problem is that "getting out" and talking to local industry may sound good in theory but in practical terms not every student, due to many reasons, can so easily approach the industry and talk to someone.
    Yes, in some Universities with pretty well known engineering schools the companies come and offer sponsorship but not everywhere.
    That's why I thought there could be a place where students within their majors could talk to each other and exchange some ideas about project design topics. Just the discussion along could inspire some for some non-trivial solutions.
    Just thinking....

ReputationRep:
    I am on my senior year in mechanical engineering, and we actually had a similar issue. In Senior Design I, where some had an idea of what they wanted to design, most of the class sat there with no clue of what to do. Granted, my team and I were very fortunate to have found a sponsor early on, most of the students did not. The company I am working with in designing a waste transportation system provided us with criteria and told us what they wanted. We took on the challenge.

Before we got our break though, we would scour the Internet and ask around the grad students what projects they did and what projects have been done in the past. As for the Ultrasonic Control Welding System, that sounds very interesting, I would love to hear more about it.

To answer your question further though, Platon77, I did stumble upon a website recently that seems to specialize in just the thing. It has categories about ideas to post but also popular college majors. Engineering is on there. That might help. The website is www.theinnovativetree.com

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.