Are these soft subjects to get get into a good university? Watch

GDT08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im in year 11 and I want to do advertising and marketing at uni and these are the a-levels i want to take (Ive already started graphics as early):
English Lan
Spanish
Business Studies
Graphics

I understand that Graphics and Business are known as 'soft' subjects so i would like to know if I would still get into a good uni provided i meet the entry requirements? Thanks
Obiejess
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GDT08)
Im in year 11 and I want to do advertising and marketing at uni and these are the a-levels i want to take (Ive already started graphics as early):
English Lan
Spanish
Business Studies
Graphics

I understand that Graphics and Business are known as 'soft' subjects so i would like to know if I would still get into a good uni provided i meet the entry requirements? Thanks
Ditch business, take Art/Photography/History/A Science

Posted from TSR Mobile
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Obiejess)
Ditch business, take Art/Photography/History/A Science

Posted from TSR Mobile
For what reason, he wants to go into marketing.

I see no reason why these subjects wouldn't get you into a respectable university to study your chosen degree course.
Obiejess
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
For what reason, he wants to go into marketing.

I see no reason why these subjects wouldn't get you into a respectable university to study your chosen degree course.
Not that they arent respectable in my opinion but business is black listed by a lot of universities. Hence, it's bettee ro just avoid it all together- taking one of either the still degree orientated ones (art, photography) or a generally well liked subject (history/maths/science/classics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any thing ending in 'studies' seems to be less appreciated unfortunately, what about Economics?
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Obiejess)
Not that they arent respectable in my opinion but business is black listed by a lot of universities. Hence, it's bettee ro just avoid it all together- taking one of either the still degree orientated ones (art, photography) or a generally well liked subject (history/maths/science/classics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Black listed by universities that offer Marketing?
Universities dont mind that some people take 'soft' subjects. Only that they are not a part of the 3 A2's.

Southampton states for their marketing course:

A Levels:

You are required to have achieved grades AAB from three subjects at A level. Most subjects are acceptable with the exception of General Studies. One subject such as those on the following list is accepted if combined with other academic subjects:

* Art, including Design, Fine Art, Photography, Textiles, etc.
* Critical Thinking
* Home Economics
* ICT
* Leisure Studies
* Media Studies
* Music, including Music Technology
* Sports Studies including all forms of PE, Dance, etc
* Theatre Studies including Drama and Performing Arts
* Travel and Tourism

Its funny when people act like because you have a 'soft' subject as a part of your AS subjects, its the end of the world. Loving the generalisation and lack of attention on the context of the user.

It really isnt....
arminb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GDT08)
English Lan
Spanish
Business Studies
Graphics

Except for spanish, theyre all soft subjects i recommend you not taking that except for if it is a necessary subject at uni. Take economics instead of business and english lit instead of english language. And maths is always a great subject.
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your soft subjects should be fine as your degree is not exactly 'hard'.
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GDT08)
English Lan
Spanish
Business Studies
Graphics

I'm with the above poster - I don't see why these couldn't get you into a decent university for a marketing course.
borysek01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GDT08)
English Lan
Spanish
Business Studies
Graphics

The way I see it is you need to declare what 'good university' means to you. For instance, for me it's the Russel Group within the UK. And would you have a chance with these subjects? Yes. Would you likely get in with these subjects? I doubt it. They only allow one 'soft' which in this case is both Bussines and Graphics.
GDT08
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
As long as i do A2 in english and spanish, will that not get me in with two strong subjects and a soft one?
Has anyone here done 2 strong and one soft? what happened?
Btw, i mean a uni in the top 60

Posted from TSR Mobile
78Saab
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Replace Business Studies with Economics, many universities don't like Business as it's not a facilitating subject. They don't consider it as a proper A level, some will refuse entry altogether with Business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3320302
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Swap business studies for economics
username3320302
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do one really good academic subject such as maths but even if you don't choose maths or any other academic subject it wont hinder your chances of getting into a decent or good university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed