Pay problems at work Watch

coopsyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,

I've had ongoing problems with my wages at work since septemeber, being underpaid each month and its building up and up.

I was owed 125 hours, they paid me back pay in my last pay slip of 45 hours so still owed 80.

My managers, they're managers, HO and payroll are all being very useless and very slow. I first raised the issue of underpayment at the start of Sept, took over a month to get a few hours of what I owed paid to me, for work to just take the money back in my Nov payslip as an "advance" so didn't really get to see much of the 45 back hours they gave me as they took 35 back at the same time.

I'm getting very tired and impatient with my company, I have rent, bills, travel and food etc to pay for like everyone else and have been struggling financially quite a bit.

Where do I stand legally about being owed paid? Couldn't find much advice online, and I'm at my wits end now, can't take much more of worrying if I can keep a roof over my head each month!

Thanks for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is there any official complaints/concerns procedure? You should have been told about this when you joined. To be honest, I'd go down that route, because for all they know you could be starving or missing rent payments thanks to missing out on money you've earned.
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by coopsyy)
Hi guys,

I've had ongoing problems with my wages at work since septemeber, being underpaid each month and its building up and up.

I was owed 125 hours, they paid me back pay in my last pay slip of 45 hours so still owed 80.

My managers, they're managers, HO and payroll are all being very useless and very slow. I first raised the issue of underpayment at the start of Sept, took over a month to get a few hours of what I owed paid to me, for work to just take the money back in my Nov payslip as an "advance" so didn't really get to see much of the 45 back hours they gave me as they took 35 back at the same time.

I'm getting very tired and impatient with my company, I have rent, bills, travel and food etc to pay for like everyone else and have been struggling financially quite a bit.

Where do I stand legally about being owed paid? Couldn't find much advice online, and I'm at my wits end now, can't take much more of worrying if I can keep a roof over my head each month!

Thanks for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tell them you're going to speak to the Union. Contact the union and explain whats happening they can give you the best advice and it'll scare your managers.
GoingToBurst
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, legally you're entitled to be paid the amount your contract states. If you work on an hourly rate and there is nothing that says you won't get paid for any work over x hours, then legally you are fully entitled to every penny.
I assume you've got a written diary of every hour you've worked, otherwise you won't have a leg to stand on. My last job was AWFUL for changing your shift to a full day shift and only paying you for the original shift. We had a clock in machine that registered your fingerprint and the manager would always just override it on the computer. Out of 6 of us that were underpaid, I was the only one who got anything paid back to me because I kept note of all of my shifts.
Definitely take it higher up the company, and if still nothing gets done, then you threaten them with legal action. Again, if still nothing gets done, then you take legal action. Just as the expect you to comply with your contract, they have to too.
Dopamine Dreams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tell your manager he's got 14 days to fix it or you'll be raising a grievance against them in line with company policy.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys,

Thanks for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

there is an official body to report this sort of thing to, I forget the name... but I have experienced this myself, find the name of the body and the head office of the company, call head office and explain the situation and tell them you have been seeking the advice of said official body and insist on having your money paid in full within 7 days... do this immediately as you only have around 3 months to make a formal complaint so you want to give yourself as much time as possible... but the chances are once you contact head office and threaten them you will get your money
Emma:-)
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi guys,

Thanks for any help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get in contact with the citizens advice bureau. They should be able to give you advice about where to go from here. To be honest, work dont seem to be doing much about it when you speak to various people within the company, so it would be good to speak to the CAB to get outside advice and support. If you get someone from outside the company involved- then you are more likely to get a result.
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
CAB will NOT get involved beyond giving a bit of advice
Ykhan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by GoingToBurst)
Well, legally you're entitled to be paid the amount your contract states. If you work on an hourly rate and there is nothing that says you won't get paid for any work over x hours, then legally you are fully entitled to every penny.
I assume you've got a written diary of every hour you've worked, otherwise you won't have a leg to stand on. My last job was AWFUL for changing your shift to a full day shift and only paying you for the original shift. We had a clock in machine that registered your fingerprint and the manager would always just override it on the computer. Out of 6 of us that were underpaid, I was the only one who got anything paid back to me because I kept note of all of my shifts.
Definitely take it higher up the company, and if still nothing gets done, then you threaten them with legal action. Again, if still nothing gets done, then you take legal action. Just as the expect you to comply with your contract, they have to too.
What company did you work for

Posted from TSR Mobile
GoingToBurst
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ykhan)
What company did you work for

Posted from TSR Mobile
A popular high street retailer. I won't name them publicly because they are notorious for trying to screw people around for bad mouthing them (even though they 150% deserve any bad press they get). It has two words in the name though, and it isn't River Island.
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you dont get it solved go on to the ACAS website.
Legally they are stealing from you as in any circumstances unless written permission from the employee no money shall be deducted from an employees wages unless agreed prior.
So look on the acas website, give them a call and if you dont feel confident enough acas will send someone to speak to your employer on your behalf.
File a grievance to head office and if this is not acknowledged then take it further with acas. Acas are very good and will provide more information than the cab.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shamrock84
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's going to take balls but your best bet is to go onto money claim online and start a county court action against them. This might not go down so well if you intend to continue working for them though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads