Student finance Watch

Rhinorogers2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just a quick rant I left school in1997 with no qualifications and have had a few jobs, I am 32 about to go back to college, what I find funny is I can apply to have my course fees paid for but they won't fund you financially to live.

To get a job now you need qualifications which I don't have and most now offer 0 hour contracts which is no good to anyone, so I have decided to go back and get some qualifications but because I am not going to uni I won't get any financially help you would think the government wants to help people but not if you are in further education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's certainly a ridiculous situation and it doesn't get much better at uni level for many. Whilst there are Maintenance Grants and Maintenance Loans once you reach degree level, for many students those don't even cover their rent. If they want to eat and pay other bills, they have to get part-time jobs. It used to be normal for parents to contribute, but these days most families have such high outgoings that it simply isn't possible.

I sympathise because I did a similar thing to you, taking a degree later, hoping to improve my life. But the plain truth was that I couldn't afford to go to uni until I'd paid off my mortgage and saved up enough money to support myself for a couple of years.

People complain about Student Finance for uni, but I agree that more attention really needs to be paid to college-based FE financing.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rhinorogers2014)
Just a quick rant I left school in1997 with no qualifications and have had a few jobs, I am 32 about to go back to college, what I find funny is I can apply to have my course fees paid for but they won't fund you financially to live.

To get a job now you need qualifications which I don't have and most now offer 0 hour contracts which is no good to anyone, so I have decided to go back and get some qualifications but because I am not going to uni I won't get any financially help you would think the government wants to help people but not if you are in further education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The problem is that with a limited amount of resources or money in this case it needs to be targetted at the areas where it is needed most- in this case degree courses where the majority move out as opposed to level 3 courses where the majority stay at home and get money from parents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (40)
24.24%
The paper was reasonable (71)
43.03%
Not feeling great about that exam (29)
17.58%
It was TERRIBLE (25)
15.15%

Watched Threads