How can i leave uni if i cant afford to pay my grant back? Watch

Han-nah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Due to issues at home i cant continue with my uni course this year which is pretty annoying after all the hasstle trying to get my student loan, i got some of it last week but not quite sure wether it is my maintenance loan or grant. I have been browsing answers to try and find out what happens with repayments if i am to stop attending uni and alot of people have said that if you drop out you will have to pay your maintenance loan back straight away, i have spent quite a bit of my loan on dance clothes and books for my performing arts course therefore i wont be able to give it back. Not sure which part of the loan i have recieved so im not sure if thats the one i must pay back straight away. Also, i have only been attending this uni for a short period of time so would i still have to repay the whole of my tuition fees or will that be cut short depending on how long i have been studying there? All of it is getting my really stressed out, if you could help my in any way that would be great. Thanks
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a loan and grant in two separate payments (they were right next to each other though). So if you look at your bank statement you should be able to see how much you got for your grant and how much you received for your loan that term.
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

If you use the 'View Payments' link in your online account, you will be able to check the separate amounts of Maintenance Loan and Grant you have received.

If you withdraw from your course, a portion of the Maintenance Loan you received for the first term will be classed as an overpayment. We would ask you to return the overpayment as soon as possible, although you would be welcome to set up a monthly repayment plan if you are unable to return the overpayment in one lumo sum.

The same would apply for the Maintenance Grant payment you have received.

We hope this information helps. If you do have to withdrew from your course, please notify your university. Please ask them to inform us as well. This will allow us to review your entitlement and to inform you of any overpayments made in writing.

Regarding the Tuition Fee Loan you were awarded, if you withdraw from your course, we will only pay the first installment to your university. There would be no Tuition Fee Loan overpayment that you would be asked to return, although the remaining loan balance would enter repayment in April 2016.

Thanks.
Jmiller21
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To Student Finance England,
I am close to finishing my first semester of my 2nd year of University to study, however this year I have been struck down with personal issues, anxiety and stress, I have lost motivation with my studies and have been thinking long and hard over the past month or so whether my course is the right one/whether university is the correct path for me. I have a meeting tomorrow with my university student supporter to help guide me through this big decision. I received a maintenance loan of £800 ish in September and a Maintenance Grant of £1,214 (i think) for semester 1 and I was wondering what the implications of withdrawing from my course would be? As they are grants which are individually awarded to students of low income households would I be required to re-pay any of the loan? I ask as it's close to the end of the first semester and my grants/loans have been spent of living and rent at home. if someone could get back to me asap it would be hugely appreciated!

many thanks

- Jonathan (concerned student)
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Jonathan,

If you decide to withdraw from your course, your loan and grant entitlement for the current academic year will be reviewed.

A portion of the Maintenance Loan and Grant you have received will be classed as an overpayment. We would write to you to advise of the overpayment made, and to ask that you call our overpayment team. They will help arrange a repayment plan with you, based on what you can reasonably afford.

The remaining loan balance would then enter repayment in April 2016.

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.27%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (137)
18.72%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.48%

Watched Threads