Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok, so im doing an access course at a university that only started in the same week as the oxbridge deadline (mid october). i was told by the university that they would send in a holding reference for me and then send in another one once my tutor had time to get to know me and stuff.

i just found out that they didnt do that at all. they sent in a reference and a predicted grade before i had even attended a single class and it was written by someone who i have never even spoken to.

2 of my choices (oxford and LSE) are supposed to be getting back to me with either an invite to interview (oxford) or an actual offer/rejection in the next 10 days or 2 weeks meaning they must be deciding right now.

i have no idea what to do. i cant get a hold of the woman who wrote my reference to find out what was in it or what my predicted grade is. im pretty sure my tutor is going to predict me an A and give me an excellent reference and considering my uni options (oxford, LSE, Kings, UCL, SOAS) i almost certainly need a predicted A. and i cant imagine someone i have never met would predict that for a student.

basically my university has lied to me. everything they said they would do never happened. so i have applied to top universities almost exclusively and now a major part of my application is completely outwith my control.

suggestions? can i fix this? how do i fix this? can i get my ucas application updated now it has been sent off weeks ago? can i appeal any rejections i receive based on this new information? would a university that has already rejected you reconsider your application given these circumstances?

thanks in advance for any help or advice provided.

ReputationRep:
    It is very unusual for a university that has already rejected you to reconsider you. However, it doesn't sound like you have already recieved any rejections?

If you can get your reference updated, then it might be best for you or your referee to contact the universities you have applied for and explain the situation, as well as attatching the new reference to your UCAS form.

However, if you can't get your reference updated and you don't get offers, the best thing to do would probably be to apply next year on a gap year with your results in hand. Top universities are used to this happening, especially with students who exceeded their predictions and you are in a strong position, having an actual grade instead of a predicted one. I know this may seem frustrating, as it is partly the universities fault. However, it might have been better to initially apply to a wider spread of universities, especially as you applied right at the start of your course.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. i would really rather not have to wait until next year as i am already 30 years old. i applied to those universities as i already went to Brunel university previously and was receiving top marks (highest grades ever achieved by a first year in my subject) with little effort until i had to drop out due to personal circumstances. the rest of my application is pretty impressive and i DO have a safety (SOAS) so i dont think its fair to say i should have applied to a wider range of universities. i shut my successful business and turned down multiple highly paid positions to return to university so im not going back unless im going to a top notch school. im only on this course in the first place because oxford requires you to have done academic study within the last 2 years - in fact when i spoke to them they said this particular course was good specifically because its run by a university and you are taught by actual lecturers so the references would be far more accurate and likely to be considered favourably.

so basically you are saying that i just need to update my UCAS application or have my tutor contact the universities i applied to directly if that isnt possible? right. hmmm. thats what i figured i would have to do (and am currently doing) but i was more hoping for advice on what to do if it all goes pear shaped due to this and if i have any way to challenge it.

ReputationRep:
    oh, and no, i havent received any rejections as of yet. this is all kind of a hypothetical situation currently. i guess im just panicking as i just found this out an hour or two ago. i like to try and cover my bases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeletorfonze)
    hmmm. i would really rather not have to wait until next year as i am already 30 years old. i applied to those universities as i already went to Brunel university previously and was receiving top marks (highest grades ever achieved by a first year in my subject) with little effort until i had to drop out due to personal circumstances. the rest of my application is pretty impressive and i DO have a safety (SOAS) so i dont think its fair to say i should have applied to a wider range of universities. i shut my successful business and turned down multiple highly paid positions to return to university so im not going back unless im going to a top notch school. im only on this course in the first place because oxford requires you to have done academic study within the last 2 years - in fact when i spoke to them they said this particular course was good specifically because its run by a university and you are taught by actual lecturers so the references would be far more accurate and likely to be considered favourably.

so basically you are saying that i just need to update my UCAS application or have my tutor contact the universities i applied to directly if that isnt possible? right. hmmm. thats what i figured i would have to do (and am currently doing) but i was more hoping for advice on what to do if it all goes pear shaped due to this and if i have any way to challenge it.
    If you can't get a reference, and all/several of your choices reject you due to poor predicted grades/lack of a reference, then you could try applying to courses via UCAS extra and through clearing. However, you are unlikely to be able to apply to top courses/universities through these methods. I can understand you not wanting to wait another year, but this will be the only way you can reapply to Oxford, and probably LSE and UCL as well.

You can't really challenge it with the universities you are applying to- they can only make a decision on the information they recieve. The best you could do right now is email/ring them and explain that you are trying to sort out a proper reference but there have been problems at your university. This may mean they will wait a little bit longer before making a decision, although Oxford may be limited by when they are having interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    If you can't get a reference, and all/several of your choices reject you due to poor predicted grades/lack of a reference, then you could try applying to courses via UCAS extra and through clearing. However, you are unlikely to be able to apply to top courses/universities through these methods. I can understand you not wanting to wait another year, but this will be the only way you can reapply to Oxford, and probably LSE and UCL as well.

You can't really challenge it with the universities you are applying to- they can only make a decision on the information they recieve. The best you could do right now is email/ring them and explain that you are trying to sort out a proper reference but there have been problems at your university. This may mean they will wait a little bit longer before making a decision, although Oxford may be limited by when they are having interviews.
    thanks for the info.

sadly i found out today i got rejected from oxford. i asked if they could let me know vaguely what the reason was and if the references had anything to do with it. but either way, im not going to oxford

thanks for telling me about ucas extra. i wasnt aware that was even an option! very helpful

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info.

sadly i found out today i got rejected from oxford. i asked if they could let me know vaguely what the reason was and if the references had anything to do with it. but either way, im not going to oxford

thanks for telling me about ucas extra. i wasnt aware that was even an option! very helpful
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will get some feedback, and this will help put your mind at rest. Oxford is (obviously) a very competitive uni, and rejects many excellent candidates every year, so it doesn't mean you will get five rejections.

Have you had any further progress in getting a new reference for your application?

ReputationRep:
    ok, so im doing an access course at a university that only started in the same week as the oxbridge deadline (mid october). i was told by the university that they would send in a holding reference for me and then send in another one once my tutor had time to get to know me and stuff.

i just found out that they didnt do that at all. they sent in a reference and a predicted grade before i had even attended a single class and it was written by someone who i have never even spoken to.

2 of my choices (oxford and LSE) are supposed to be getting back to me with either an invite to interview (oxford) or an actual offer/rejection in the next 10 days or 2 weeks meaning they must be deciding right now.

i have no idea what to do. i cant get a hold of the woman who wrote my reference to find out what was in it or what my predicted grade is. im pretty sure my tutor is going to predict me an A and give me an excellent reference and considering my uni options (oxford, LSE, Kings, UCL, SOAS) i almost certainly need a predicted A. and i cant imagine someone i have never met would predict that for a student.

basically my university has lied to me. everything they said they would do never happened. so i have applied to top universities almost exclusively and now a major part of my application is completely outwith my control.

suggestions? can i fix this? how do i fix this? can i get my ucas application updated now it has been sent off weeks ago? can i appeal any rejections i receive based on this new information? would a university that has already rejected you reconsider your application given these circumstances?

thanks in advance for any help or advice provided.
    You should have a backup lower option for sticky circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    You don't sound like the LSE or Oxford type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocomalbom)
    And how exactly have you figured that out in eight posts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocomalbom)

(Original post by lipslikemorphine)
    And how exactly have you figured that out in eight posts?
    His grammar and punctuation.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.