Help with bills!!!! Watch

Kat08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Rented our house from end of August, so expecting our first quarterly bill soon.
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The idea that leaving the heating on is cheaper is an urban myth and patently untrue.
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depending how your heating system works 2 hours may well not be enough. In my house, it was a top-down system, which meant my bedroom and the living room took a full 45 minutes to get ANY heat in the radiator, so heating had to be on at least 1 hour for those rooms to get any benefit.
Yet housemates insisted initially on only doing 30-45minute heating slots 3 times a day.
I would say, work out how long it takes to properly heat each room, use the time it takes to heat the slowest one, add 15-20minutes, and if you insist on not heating very often, set it for about 30-45mins before the first person will get up each morning, and the sort of time that you will be getting back home each day.
But to be honest, you will be better off heating once in the morning before everyone gets up and then at least twice in late afternoon/evening. Being freezing cold when you try to go to bed is NOT FUN, and you will just end up with people either turning it on at random times, or installing their own heaters and whacking up your electricity bill.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Our gas bill should come quarterly, but because of the dates, our first bill was only after a month. It worked out at £2 a week without the heating on. But I think this might rise to nearly £10 a week each. Our water is unmetered and works out at about £2 a week each. Electricity is on a meter and we put £5 on each, roughly every 15-18 days, depending on how many of us went home for the weekends etc. This is split between four of us. The water is unmetered and gas would roughly be the same as well, but more each if split between only 3 of us. So far, bills have been about £5 a week each, but will probably be £10-15 a week each with the heating on.
rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Heating systems vary wildly with efficiency and energy use, allow with factors such as if there is a room thermostat affecting usage. The only way to know if it is cheaper to have it on all the time or not is to monitor the usage in each situation, try each situation for a few days, and see which uses more gas (by monitoring the meter).
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should Banksy be put in prison?

Yes (249)
14.46%
No (1473)
85.54%

Watched Threads