Changing degree and moving Universities. Watch

Jffrsn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, i'm currently doing a BSc Mathematics degree at the University of Surrey and was considering dropping Maths and picking up another degree - something to do with product design - at another Uni in London. I'm just asking for advice on how I go about doing this. Do I have to do the UCAS application again? Anything related will help. Thanks.
Tolaaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've done the same, was doing Law at Sussex then changed to Philosophy at either Nottingham, Exeter or KCL and yes you have to do your UCAS again and if the two courses aren't similar apply for entry year 1 (1st year) you have around 2 months left until you can apply so don't leave it last minute
gonewandering
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you do basically have to apply from scratch through UCAS. You don't say what year you are in, but beware: you may not be able to get a student loan. Student loans are available for the length of your course plus one extra year (incase of retakes). Thus if you change during your first year you should be able to get a loan for your different course -but you really need to check. Go see you're Uni's financial advisors/student support (or whatever your uni has).

When it comes to actually changing, your best bet would be to actually go and talk to people. The course leader of your current course for one. You will need to inform them you are leaving anyway so you minds as well go and pump them for information and help. Keep them on side - you may need them for a reference.
Also contact the university that you want to go to. They may have vacancies for the course this year. Depending on when their term started they may only be a month/month and a half/two months into the course. At many universities the 1st year of a degree has no bearing on the grade of your degree overall. So I'd really stress - contact them - they may have vacancies and you could be able to change sooner rather than having to go through the ucas cycle and wait until next year.
Milostar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Moved thread from Educational Debate into Applications and UCAS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads