Cambridge LLM? Watch

Lawblabla
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by jacketpotato)
To clarify, you can take the New York bar if you have done GDL+LPC+LLM OR if you have done a UK LLB. However the LLM by itself is insufficient; you need to have studied 3 years of law in a common law jurisdiction (or 3 years of law in a civil law jurisdiction plus an LLM in the United States).
This would be fantastic, but how sure are you that the GDL + LPC + LLM = NY's "durational equivalence" under rule 520.6 [b] [1] [i] [a]?

I have heard this elsewhere, but have also heard the NYS bar examiners consider the LPC/BPTC "vocational" (don't agree entirely - but nobody's asking me!) as so it does not count.

Would love to know your source.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lawblabla)
This would be fantastic, but how sure are you that the GDL + LPC + LLM = NY's "durational equivalence" under rule 520.6 [b] [1] [i] [a]?

I have heard this elsewhere, but have also heard the NYS bar examiners consider the LPC/BPTC "vocational" (don't agree entirely - but nobody's asking me!) as so it does not count.

Would love to know your source.
You can only cure one of quality or quantity by taking a US LLM.

If you look at the guidance on Rule 520.6 (b) (2) you will see that the GDL/LPC+TC is durationally equivalent to a JD or admission under Rule 520.6 (b) (1) (i) (a). It isn't substantially equivalent, hence the need to do a US LLM. However if it both wasn't durationally equivalent and substantially equivalent, then the candidate wouldn't be eligible at all. What this means is that the GDL and LPC do count towards durational equivalence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads