Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Bullying Week - guess who had the last laugh... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm 20.

Back in secondary school, I was always picked on/bullied about my height. I was always shorter than everyone else.

There was a person who did it a lot more than anyone else. He'd pick my books, pencilcase etc up and hold it as high as he could from me until a friend would stop him because they were taller than me. He was quite a big guy (as in fat) but strong as well so I was always worried. At first I started saying things back to him but he'd always overpower my comments with his. So I stopped. When I told teachers, they never did anything about it. When I told friends, they always helped me with it.

This was from Year 7 to Year 9. Near the end of year 9, we were all in PE and playing rounders which I wasn't that good at. It was against another tutor group and my tutor group were always quite competitive. He said to me "don't let me down. You need to do it". I went ahead, batted the ball, and got a round in. He did it, and failed. Someone else in the tutor group, bigger than him, then started moaning at him and he looked like he was going to cry. I didn't say anything to him, but since that moment, he never annoyed me again. In Years 10 and 11, the tutor group was split up quite a bit because we all did different subjects so I didn't really ever have to sit near him again too.

I'm 5'8.5" (don't forget the half ) now which isn't the tallest, it's not the shortest and I think it's about average. About a month ago, (4 years on since leaving secondary school), I seen this "bully" walking towards me. He didn't say anything to me, but as I walked past him, he appeared to be much shorter me. He was competitive, annoying, hurtful, horrid, a bully... but for the first time, I felt that I had won.

If anyone reading this is currently being bullied... don't keep it to yourself like I did at first - tell your parents, tell your friends, and try and succeed them... and you may even have the last laugh

ReputationRep:
    I remember being bullied from yr 7-10 because i'm not straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    If anyone reading this is currently being bullied... don't keep it to yourself like I did at first - tell your parents, tell your friends, and try and succeed them... and you may even have the last laugh
    I second this.

When I was 10 years old I was bullied for my weight by my supposed "friends". Well, it was only one or two out of five but the others went along with it because they wanted to be a part of this popular group. The one that really despised me gave me a letter saying "you can't be our friend because you're fat." I'm not gonna go into detail about the effect this has on my mental health because we'll be here all day.

Back then I was about 4'9 and 180lbs. As I grew older, my height came to about 5'2 and I've got my weight down to 120lbs. I seem to have become that girl who guys tend to glare at; just yesterday I noticed some guy glare at me with his jaw to the ground like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. It's been happening for years, since I lost the weight and started properly taking care of my naturally curly hair. The only time reactions like that guy's surprise me are when they come from my childhood bullies because, like you said, l knew I had won. The greatest thing about this is that other than caring for my hair and living a healthy lifestyle, I make zero effort on my looks and whatever yet I'm getting these reactions that my bullies are striving to get. I see them now and I see their faces caked in make up and their hair looking like an entire bottle of hairspray exploded in it and although I get the greatest ego boner (I can't deny I don't, I mean, these girls refused to be associated with me because of my ****ing weight) I pity them because they're going though everything they put me through. But karma's a *****. I hope they get everything they deserve, ****ing crazy *****es.

ReputationRep:
    I think people usually get bullied not because of weight/height etc, but simply because they appear shy and un-confrontational. The bullies simply find something unique/different about the person and tease them for it. If a person wasn't fat, he/she would be bullied for being skinny or talking with a funny accent. Any excuse would do. I've been both the bullied and the bully (usually the former) and strongly feel this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Great post, thank you for sharing 2scotty
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    In Year 3, I had a few bullies taunting me because I'm Russian. Naturally, I told my mother and the bullying stopped.

But it took a long time for my school to deal with bullies who do not target a specific person but an entire class. There was one black guy in Year 6 who was openly racist, potty-mouthed and offensive. He constantly mocked white people and even claimed that black people are superior to white people. Despite warnings, he continued. Despite all of our complaints, he was still in class saying his hatred babble. The last straw was when he called my Latin teacher a "****ing *******". The guy was suspended and came back for a week, not saying anything to anyone. After that week ended, he was moved back to Nigeria. But by that time, a lot of damage has been done in the class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    In Year 3, I had a few bullies taunting me because I'm Russian. Naturally, I told my mother and the bullying stopped.

But it took a long time for my school to deal with bullies who do not target a specific person but an entire class. There was one black guy in Year 6 who was openly racist, potty-mouthed and offensive. He constantly mocked white people and even claimed that black people are superior to white people. Despite warnings, he continued. Despite all of our complaints, he was still in class saying his hatred babble. The last straw was when he called my Latin teacher a "****ing *******". The guy was suspended and came back for a week, not saying anything to anyone. After that week ended, he was moved back to Nigeria. But by that time, a lot of damage has been done in the class.
    You told your Russian mother about bullies? Damn. What happened to those kids? Were they ever seen again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    Hi! I'm 20.

Back in secondary school, I was always picked on/bullied about my height. I was always shorter than everyone else.

There was a person who did it a lot more than anyone else. He'd pick my books, pencilcase etc up and hold it as high as he could from me until a friend would stop him because they were taller than me. He was quite a big guy (as in fat) but strong as well so I was always worried. At first I started saying things back to him but he'd always overpower my comments with his. So I stopped. When I told teachers, they never did anything about it. When I told friends, they always helped me with it.

This was from Year 7 to Year 9. Near the end of year 9, we were all in PE and playing rounders which I wasn't that good at. It was against another tutor group and my tutor group were always quite competitive. He said to me "don't let me down. You need to do it". I went ahead, batted the ball, and got a round in. He did it, and failed. Someone else in the tutor group, bigger than him, then started moaning at him and he looked like he was going to cry. I didn't say anything to him, but since that moment, he never annoyed me again. In Years 10 and 11, the tutor group was split up quite a bit because we all did different subjects so I didn't really ever have to sit near him again too.

I'm 5'8.5" (don't forget the half ) now which isn't the tallest, it's not the shortest and I think it's about average. About a month ago, (4 years on since leaving secondary school), I seen this "bully" walking towards me. He didn't say anything to me, but as I walked past him, he appeared to be much shorter me. He was competitive, annoying, hurtful, horrid, a bully... but for the first time, I felt that I had won.

Unfortunatley bullying will always exist, what worked for me is beating the bullies to the punch, the things i'd get bullied for i just admitted it before they said anything, i was mocked for being a geek, one day i just said "Yes i'm a geek, what you gonna do about it; its who i am, i can't change that nor can you" failing that i gave the neutral response of "so ..." seem to shut em up for a while
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by qasidb)
    You told your Russian mother about bullies? Damn. What happened to those kids? Were they ever seen again?
    They just stayed far away from me until they left the following year

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.