Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm 20 and not sure what to do. What do you think? I'd either love to be a photographer selling photos, or go into nature, documentary or wedding photography, or work my way up to become a broadcast news journalist.

Photography work: flickr.com/scottsalter-

Me trying to have a go at news reading (edited by me):

ReputationRep:
    Both are very highly competitive jobs, first of all.

In my opinion, I think it is more difficult to become a photographer. It is a rewarding job, however you have to think about it logically. For you to gain to a certain standard and salary, you will need connections with people in different companies in order to be well-known. Photography is more of a freelance job which depends upon a client's taste whether they wish to hire you or not.

However in journalism, you can definitely work your way up alongside studies or just writing. On the way up, you can stil be working on the side whether it be writing articles or working in a company. This way, you will have a steady source of income as opposed to photography where it's pretty much touch and go.

Overall, do whatever you feel is right at the end of the day. If you feel extremely determined to do photography, then I'd say just go for it. Perhaps you can be a journalist as well as doing photography on the side in your spare time, who knows?

Good luck and take care.

ReputationRep:
    If it's any encouragement you do look and sound like a news reader, I could certainly imagine you doing that.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a news-reader. Very impressed!

As a feedback, you might want to look less like you are reading from somewhere and look more at the viewer.

How about a career as a photo journalist or in radio?

ReputationRep:
    Nice background

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could try looking into the camera, but nice vid

ReputationRep:
    My test in career is simple:

Look at the number of people in your life, in their 40's and 50's, who are constantly grumpy. Many people in that age range hate their job, have given up all their hobbies and a lot of their friends and generally aren't as happy as they used to be.

These people are luckier than most, as many go through big depression by doing a job they hate for long periods of time.

My advice? Do a job that is least likely to make you go insane after 25 years.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.