Buying condoms Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi first post here so please be easy on me!!

I want to get my first condoms but don't like the idea of going to a shop even on self service (my friend said it can beep for an age check in some shops?). So I was on FB before and there was this site (http://www.rocketrubbers.co.uk) on the side of it where you can buy the jonny's online.

IS it good to buy them online? I can get them delivered to my halls in a packet then and I guess nobody would know. Anyone else bought them online please?

J
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I want to get my first condoms but don't like the idea of going to a shop even on self service (my friend said it can beep for an age check in some shops?). So I was on FB before and there was this site (http://www.rocketrubbers.co.uk) on the side of it where you can buy the jonny's online.

IS it good to buy them online? I can get them delivered to my halls in a packet then and I guess nobody would know. Anyone else bought them online please?

J
Several things:

1) It has been said that if you're embarrassed about buying condoms, you're probably not mature enough to be having sex - just something to consider.

2) Do you think the person behind the checkout coming to the end of a long shift even cares a little bit about what you're buying? If they're smart they're using condoms too btw. It's not like you're buying a ballgag or something.

3) You can get them free from your uni's health service or SU.

4) They're just condoms. Seriously.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi and welcome to :tsr2:

Why do you care if there's an 'age check' for your jonny's [sic]? Are you under the age of consent in which case, you shouldn't be asking this on TSR?
TheJay92
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you can buy them online but I think you should just go to the store, it'll be cheaper and quicker. or even grab some for free at your college/sixth form/university or even GP (maybe, but don't quote me on that)

what is the main thing that's holding you back from buying condoms in person? your age? nervousness?
J-Norton93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks everyone. I dunno why I'm nervous... I don't even use them yet but hopefully will need to soon if things go right with the current GF! It's just embarrassing, I get nervous really. Self checkout may work just don't want any confrontation. Ta.
Kagutsuchi
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheJay92)
you can buy them online but I think you should just go to the store, it'll be cheaper and quicker. or even grab some for free at your college/sixth form/university or even GP (maybe, but don't quote me on that)
That's not true. Buying bulk online can actually be cheaper than instore.
Treeroy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
It has been said that if you're embarrassed about buying condoms, you're probably not mature enough to be having sex - just something to consider.
I don't use condoms but I think this is a stupid rule, I really don't understand the reasoning behind why so many people say this. It's fine to be nervous about sex, or maybe you don't like other people to be aware of what you do in your private life.

OP, buying them online will be fine. There's a wider range, it's cheaper, and it's more discrete. You can even get ones fitted right for you
askew116
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The whole 'if you're embarrassed buying them you're not mature enough to use them' line I find quite patronising and immature itself.

I'm 27, have occasionally bought condoms (though usually get them at a GUM clinic for routine check-ups), and still get embarrassed about it. Then again, I also get embarrassed buying toilet roll too!
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kagutsuchi)
That's not true. Buying bulk online can actually be cheaper than instore.
LOL, aint nobody on TSR going through a bulk of condoms.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by askew116)
The whole 'if you're embarrassed buying them you're not mature enough to use them' line I find quite patronising and immature itself.

I'm 27, have occasionally bought condoms (though usually get them at a GUM clinic for routine check-ups), and still get embarrassed about it. Then again, I also get embarrassed buying toilet roll too!
You think that's bad. I brought some bog roll off Groupon because it was going cheap and they delivered it to my house...with no packaging so you could see quite clearly that it was toilet paper. I was not at home so the delivery man gave it to my neighbour:facepalm2:
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Treeroy)
I don't use condoms but I think this is a stupid rule, I really don't understand the reasoning behind why so many people say this. It's fine to be nervous about sex,
Yeah, it's normal and natural to be nervous before your first time - but that's not what this is about. In my opinion it's pretty immature to be embarrassed about buying something which, at the end of the day, is a health necessity which people should be using routinely anyway.

or maybe you don't like other people to be aware of what you do in your private life
99% of adults are having/have had sex, it's not like he's the Chosen One
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My tactic when buying condoms, purchase with a **** ton of items like magazines, Pringles, food then hide the condoms under and just avoid eye contact with the cashier...

Or just go there and buy it, seriously it's just condoms!
Okie dokie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Amazon, problem solved
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Treeroy)
I don't use condoms but I think this is a stupid rule, I really don't understand the reasoning behind why so many people say this. It's fine to be nervous about sex, or maybe you don't like other people to be aware of what you do in your private life.

OP, buying them online will be fine. There's a wider range, it's cheaper, and it's more discrete. You can even get ones fitted right for you
I think it's fine to be anxious about anything but if humanity avoided situations just because they made us nervous we'd still be huddled in caves. Sometimes the best thing for our character development really is just to man up.

The reason behind the maturity principle is that sex and sexual health are inherently collaborative: it is important that we cultivate frankness and an attitude that there is nothing shameful or unusual about having sex.

Of course, some people can get flustered in any commercial transaction - I think when people say if you can't buy your own condoms then you aren't mature enough to be having sex, it refers to individuals who are otherwise perfectly well-functioning but become blushing schoolgirls at the very mention of sex.

Can I also add that as someone who used to work part-time in Boots, the staff literally could not care less what people buy.
Maid Marian
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pinda.college)
You think that's bad. I brought some bog roll off Groupon because it was going cheap and they delivered it to my house...with no packaging so you could see quite clearly that it was toilet paper. I was not at home so the delivery man gave it to my neighbour:facepalm2:
Toilet paper isn't embarrassing .... :lolwut:
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pinda.college)
LOL, aint nobody on TSR going through a bulk of condoms.
I do. It's hard to find them for 11 inches though :cry:
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
just buy them in a shop, it isn't as awkward as you wold think. make no eye contact though!
Hanvyj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Several things:

1) It has been said that if you're embarrassed about buying condoms, you're probably not mature enough to be having sex - just something to consider.

2) Do you think the person behind the checkout coming to the end of a long shift even cares a little bit about what you're buying? If they're smart they're using condoms too btw. It's not like you're buying a ballgag or something.

3) You can get them free from your uni's health service or SU.

4) They're just condoms. Seriously.
So someone who is shy is never mature enough to have sex? Shy people are going to be embarrassed about buying condoms regardless of their age... I hate doing stuff like that and I'm 25!

Does that mean I'm not mature enough to have sex with my wife? lol that's completely illogical.

Everyone knows, logically, it shouldn't be embarrassing because the person serving you really really doesn't care. Does that make it any less embarrassing? Not really...
Hanvyj
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Hi and welcome to :tsr2:

Why do you care if there's an 'age check' for your jonny's [sic]? Are you under the age of consent in which case, you shouldn't be asking this on TSR?
The whole point of going to self-service is because he's embarrassed about someone watching him buy condoms. If there was an age check, even if he was over the age required, someone will still have to come up, guess his age against what he's buying. That's what OP wants to avoid.

His age is irrelevant.

Also.... do you really think he shouldn't be asking that on TSR? I know it might be a shock to you, but 15 year olds do have sex. Everyone knows this, no one really cares. That's why you can get on the pill when you are 12 if you want. It's better we have healthy, non-pregnant 15 year olds than uphold some stupid outdated law that no one has ever been convicted on and everyone ignores.

OP: Buy online. It's loads cheaper. We used to have to buy in bulk as students, the more you get the cheaper it is. Obviously it's not worth getting packs of 100 if you aren't in a long-term relationship though.
Tomsta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

J
If you're embrassed about getting condoms then you're not ready for sex, they are just condoms it's not like you're going out and buy a pack of 5 sex toys, they are just condoms, if you go in store use cash if you don't want paper trail
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
14.1%
The paper was reasonable (191)
49.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
25.33%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
10.7%

Watched Threads