Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i am always seeing references to passing with honours.My own son did. But neither he nor I have a clue what it actually means. Does anyone know.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't graduate with honours, then you graduate with an ordinary degree which is not as well respected (pretty much not respected at all these days) as an honours degree. It just means that there is a classification to your degree (1st, 2:1 etc). In order to get it you have to achieve a certain amount of credits at a certain grade.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=GoingToBurst;45242102]If you don't graduate with honours, then you graduate with an ordinary degree which is not as well respected (pretty much not respected at all these days) as an honours degree. It just means that there is a classification to your degree (1st, 2:1 etc). In order to get it you have to achieve a certain amount of credits at a certain grade.[/QUOTE
    OK, To take son's example, he had a First with honours.Is it possible to get a First without honours' Can you get a 2:1 without honours etc. Just not sure what, if anything, it adds.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by olddad)
    OK, To take son's example, he had a First with honours.Is it possible to get a First without honours' Can you get a 2:1 without honours etc. Just not sure what, if anything, it adds.
    You can only get a first/2.1 etc with honours. A degree without honours is basically below a third, which would still be with honours. Without honours is the lowest mark a degree can have whilst still being a pass, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    You can only get a first/2.1 etc with honours. A degree without honours is basically below a third, which would still be with honours. Without honours is the lowest mark a degree can have whilst still being a pass, I believe.
    Well At least that makes some sort of sense but you have to wonder why they have t at all.

ReputationRep:
    Well At least that makes some sort of sense but you have to wonder why they have t at all.
    Because you've still done the work required for an ordinary degree, you just haven't been able to fulfil the requirements for honours.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Struggling students on my course are put onto a PASS degree, which is 75% of the work of a normal degree. They graduate without honours. So they still get recognition for the work they have done, as opposed to getting nothing. I agree with you in some way, though - I'd sooner drop out and start working than spend a few years studying for a degree without honours.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually meant to be 'with horns'.
    Because you transform into a bison when you get this on your name.
    Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    It means you passed your degree.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK an honours degree has 360 credits (120 per year) and w/o honours has 300 (100 per year).

ReputationRep:
    Laughing at all the above misinformed nonsense.

If people did a bit of research they would actually discover that it means you have conducted yourself honourably during your studies, by avoiding any drunken mishaps, turning up to lectures late, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Laughing at all the above misinformed nonsense.

If people did a bit of research they would actually discover that it means you have conducted yourself honourably during your studies, by avoiding any drunken mishaps, turning up to lectures late, etc.
    Now that DOES make sense>

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.