Can Columbia/Belgium win the World Cup Watch

ineedtorevise127
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Belgium have a very strong young team
Columbia also have a team which is very experienced their CBs are like 34 and 36 years old. Falcao, Guarin, Jackson martinez, Rodriguez and Quintero also look like very strong players also the fact that they are South American may give them an advantage in Brazil used to climate and conditions
9MmBulletz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you watch Belgium get schooled by Japan (who play reall good football) or their loss to Colombia?

Colombia have a chance, as any team would if they have the world's best striker in Falcao. Belgium have been good in qualifying but have come up short against Colombia and Japan (who are actually a good team) and in the friendly against England last year. They won't win it because I think Spain, Germany, Italy and possibly France can beat them. England probably could too (and have).
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stranger things have happened. Although Belgium have a good team not sure how they'll perform in the knock-out stages due to lack of experience at that level internationally. Also I don' think climate will be that big an issue, during June the weather is usually in the low to mid 20s, although it does vary on city.
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sick of this Belgium love in atm. They may make it to the quarters but no further.

Colombia won't win it either but on their home continent they have a chance to do well and they also have very strong players.

I guarantee the winner will be one of the elite five of Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and Spain.
Aniaa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Belgium has 2 Hazards, Kompany and De Bruyne. They are unstoppable
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 9MmBulletz)
England probably could too (and have).
Winning a mickey mouse friendly is completely different to the real thing. England haven't beaten a half decent team in a major tournament since 2002. That isn't going to change next summer.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think Belgium are one of the darkhorses at this World Cup.
9MmBulletz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Winning a mickey mouse friendly is completely different to the real thing. England haven't beaten a half decent team in a major tournament since 2002. That isn't going to change next summer.
LOL dude I'm not super pro-England. I consider myself a realistic one.

I'm aware England haven't won a trophy for 47 years, while they haven't made a semi-final for 17 years. I'd say there's about 3 teams in Europe that England would struggle against (Germany, Italy, Spain), while another 3/4 who I'd say England have a 50% chance against (Netherlands, France, Portugal and Belgium to a lesser extent) although Portugal I'd say are most likely to beat England if Ronaldo turns up. Then there's like a few other teams who I expect England to beat but will be difficult ( like Russia, Croatia).

In South America I'd say Colombia, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil and Chile could all beat England, while I think Argentina's defensive weakness would mean that I'd give England a slightly better chance of beating them if they sit back and play on the break.

South Korea and Japan play good football too while possibly ivory Coast could cause the most problems out of the African teams.

All in all, we're looking at 10-15 teams that England could get stuck against so I'm in no way saying England have a great chance here. They should accept a quarter final place and would be fortunate to get to a semi-final. At the semi-finals, you're probably going to have to beat Spain, Germany, Italy or Brazil and England's chances of winning a quarter and semi-final are 5% at best. Getting to the semi-final I'd say England's chances are 20% at best.

With Belgium, let's put things into reality here. Belgium did well to come out of their group , but this is their first World Cup in 12 years. Their group was difficult considering how relatively recently they've become a good team. Saying that, I would expect England to have qualified from their group. England beat Croatia comfortably in 2010 WC qualifiers, and I'd expect England to beat Serbia too.

Belgium lost two friendlies in a row at home to Colombia and Japan, as well as drawing at home to France a a few months back. France and to a lesser extent Colombia are arguably stronger than the teams in their World Cup qualifying group. If Belgium didn't perform in those games, what makes you think they'd roll over England. When Belgium played England last year, they played pretty much their first team and England beat them convincingly enough.

Belgium are a good team no doubt, but to say they've got a better chance than England is silly since this is their first international tournament for 12 years. The toughest teams they have faced in the past 18 months are France, England and Colombia and they didn't win any of those games. A quarter-final would be good for them, although anything further is going to rely on a favourable quarter final draw which I can't see for them either.
niceguy95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Belgium are incredibly overrated

Quater finals max

As for colombia, i reckon they can reach the semi's
martin jol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
I think Belgium are one of the darkhorses at this World Cup.
jesus christ man, belgium are not ''darkhorses'' every ****er is talking about them haha. they are ranked top 10 ffs.

the world's best striker in Falcao.
are you high?

if falcao played in england he'd be the 5th best in the premier league. lets not even talk about the ****ing world ffs.
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by martin jol)
jesus christ man, belgium are not ''darkhorses'' every ****er is talking about them haha. they are ranked top 10 ffs.

are you high?

if falcao played in england he'd be the 5th best in the premier league. lets not even talk about the ****ing world ffs.
Calm down there's no need for such anger, chill out.
The Assassin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Belgium have a quite a bad coach; QFs is all they can hope for tbh. Shame.
xxbradkennedyxx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
in the last 2 years italy have won 1 drawn 5 lost 6 in international friendlies, and their win was against san marino. Friendlies really don't count for much.
martin jol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Calm down there's no need for such anger, chill out.
sorry officer.
flabbyjoe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Belgium will be found out in the world cup. They don't have enough experience in major tournaments to win it.
Jjj90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No.

This is what makes me laugh about England fans.

"Can Belgium win the world cup? Maybe...
Can an African team win the world cup? Maybe...
Can Columbia win the world cup? Maybe...
Can France win a world cup? Maybe...
Can England win a world cup? Not a ****ing chance!"
9MmBulletz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by martin jol)

are you high?

5th best?

Do you watch Falcao play?

He's been scoring goals for fun since 2010. His movement, finishing, heading is one of the most complete I've seen in a striker. He's a little more clinical than Suarez and Aguero, more powerful than RVP. Top scoring out-and-out striker in Spain past 2 seasons. Maybe a stretch to say best but he's top 3. Don't bring Ibrahimovic into it. Eto'o and Villa were a class above him from 2005-2010. Ibra has been playing in France and Italy for the past 3 years, which aren't the strongest leagues. Take a look at Ibra's record in the latter stages of the CL to see how good he is in big games.

RVP, Suarez and Aguero are the best 3 in the PL and Falcao would defo be amongst this lot
Kutta
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Belgium's Team is far more talented than England at the moment which should be no disrespect to England as Belgium have one of the best squads in Europe.

GK - Courtouis

LB - Pogognoli
CB - Kompany
CB - Vermanlehm
RB - Vertonghen

CDM - Axel Witsel
CDM - Fellaini

RM - Mirallas
CAM - Dembele
LM - Hazard

CF - Lukaku

Bench - Benteke, Mingolet, Chadli, Defour....
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anything can change between now and June - but based on the way the teams are currently playing, I can't see anyone other than Brazil or Germany winning it.

Colombia and Belgium, and Argentina as well, have a few very good players, but they all have obvious weak links. I don't think any of them have an entirely solid team, with reliable players in every position and a top-class coach, to the same extent as Brazil, Germany or Spain. Spain will probably do well, but their style of play isn't that flexible and I think they've been "figured out" now.
martin jol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
5th best?

Do you watch Falcao play?

He's been scoring goals for fun since 2010. His movement, finishing, heading is one of the most complete I've seen in a striker. He's a little more clinical than Suarez and Aguero, more powerful than RVP. Top scoring out-and-out striker in Spain past 2 seasons. Maybe a stretch to say best but he's top 3. Don't bring Ibrahimovic into it. Eto'o and Villa were a class above him from 2005-2010. Ibra has been playing in France and Italy for the past 3 years, which aren't the strongest leagues. Take a look at Ibra's record in the latter stages of the CL to see how good he is in big games.

RVP, Suarez and Aguero are the best 3 in the PL and Falcao would defo be amongst this lot
Lets wait and see how Falcao does if ever he moves to a competitive league. Any of Aguero, Suarez, Rooney, RVP would also smash in the goals and look like the best striker in the world playing in the Portuguese, Spanish and French leagues.

Also, Ibra's record in a number of leagues over a long period of time proves he is a better striker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
21.75%
The paper was reasonable (146)
44.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (59)
17.82%
It was TERRIBLE (54)
16.31%

Watched Threads