9.22%
This discussion is closed.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
Even more annoyingly, there are jobs out there which require all of the above which have seen wages fall at the hands of MPs.
Such as what?

If some London Tube drivers can get over £60k I don't see why parliamentarians can't.
elohssa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
'Good policies' matter little if you can lead. Obama got in just telling people to hope - hardly a great policy, but he could lead.

Same with UKIP and SNP, some half arsed policies, but with leaders fronting them.
Yea I was thinking of mentioning Obama. It's a terrible system when people whose only real world work-experience is "community organizer" can get elected to lead a country.

I don't know much about SNP but how are UKIP's policies half-arsed? Compared to the other political parties they are the only ones promising to actually do something radical (leave the EU). Their flat-tax proposal is also far more drastic and different to what we have today ("from each according to his ability...") and planning to scrap foreign aid to countries with a space-program more advanced than our own seems like a smart move.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Arbolus)
Until recently MPs were responsible for setting their own salaries, and realistically they were always going to squeeze as much money out of the system as they possibly could. I only hope that the IPSA can slowly rein them in.

If someone is to be paid a lot, I expect them to produce a high standard of work - and that's not something we've seen from the Commons for a very long time. I understand that MPs need to pay for transport, and an office, and possibly an assistant, but that's what expenses are for. It's not a reason to have such a high basic salary.
That was ridiculous. Can you imagine setting up your own salary? Who sets up the salaries now?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
That was ridiculous. Can you imagine setting up your own salary? Who sets up the salaries now?
Any ltd company does...?

IPSA, civil servants
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by InnerTemple)
Do you think all important and difficult jobs should be rewarded with a similar wage to that of an MP?

There are other jobs out there which are important, difficult, require long hours, require someone to be at their best and all the rest of it which do not attract the same earnings as an MP. Even more annoyingly, there are jobs out there which require all of the above which have seen wages fall at the hands of MPs.
I think the 'MPs have lowered others' wages' comment is quite silly and I assume you weren't making it entirely seriously. Politicians have important decisions to make about the distribution of resources. To say that it's annoying that they're paid well for making a call that takes resources away from a particular class of workers which you think should have more resources doesn't make much sense; it makes even less sense to discuss politicians as a class in that way, as though they were all party to the decision to cut whatever it is when actually, inevitably, many will have been opposed.

For the most part I don't think it's of any use or interest to look at various jobs and decide what people who do them deserve. I don't generally think desert is a relevant concept, though it does become relevant in the context of purely public jobs like this. I mention their hard work and importance here to show that MPs' wages aren't obviously inappropriate. It's perfectly fitting for someone who has an important and demanding role such as that of an MP to be paid substantially above the average wage, and absurd to attack them as 'parasites' for receiving such a wage.

There's a practical argument to be made for it, too, I think. As much as I think that many of them are idiots, MPs are generally industrious individuals who are good at selling ideas and themselves (hence their election). A lot of them could make much more money in the private sector.

IMHO the current wage for MPs is about right. It's not (nearly) high enough to attract people who are in it only for the money; but it's probably high enough not to put people off who would make good politicians but want a comfortable life.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by elohssa)
1) I'm sure most of today's MPs would be more than happy to continue doing their job for 40k or less. I'm sure for that money there is no shortage of competition.

2) So do a lot of ordinary people. Difference is those ordinary people also have the real-world experience that you've mentioned MPs lack. I personally think that people should be discourages from entering politics until they're at least 30+ year old and had worked in the real world.
I doubt most Most MPs would do the job for less. Agreed you may get a public servant attitude, but when you have a family you're my going to screw them over for what may only potentially be a 5 year contract with long hours.

ive met many people with real life experience . In fact technically anybody who has lived has real life experience. But very few have what it takes to be an MP. We currently have 14 MPs under 30 out of 650. That's 2%. Hardly a significant trend. But with criticism from not voting younger members if the electorate saying that they're not being listened to it may be an attempt by politicians to engage with the electorate. Although I echo your sentiments about 'real world experience' politics can be viewed as a job and some of our most effective politicians stated young. It's a balancing act. But then again, what is real world experience? When we do get real world experienced MPs they get criticised for going into politics for personal gain.

id much rather we get rid if the numerous layers of government. At the moment I have a councillor, MSP, MP & MEP. Cut out one if those layers and I'm
onto a winner. Go to your MPs surgery and you'll find them dicking about doing council work, an MSP tinkering with MP work and Christ knows what the MEPs get paid for.
Aoide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think they are underpaid. They fulfil a very important role and I expect us to try and attract the most suitable candidates to the role- if that means raising the salaries then I think that is a suitable course of action. It is hardly a significant amount of money in government terms.

We can hardly criticise our MPs and then expect to lower their salaries. Low salary position will get poor workers. We need to raise their pay and our expectations. If we increased their pay we might actually attract people with useful skills rather than just people who can speak well. The only reason they have such low requirements is because allow it to be so, if we are more selective we will get better MPs.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They are very over-paid. Most MP's have degrees in Politics, Social Studies, History etc. Considering anyone can get a degree in one of these subjects (if they can be bothered), I don't see how they can justify a salary so high. Supply and demand should set the wages and there are plenty of people qualified enough to be MPs.
Ah, the old anyone can get a humanities or social science degree. Presumably you think only a select few can get science degrees? This is where I should stop reading...

But I'm not sure if most MPs do have social science or humanties degrees. Quite a reasonable number of those with degrees have science or medical degrees. Law is quite common.

Well maybe degrees shouldn't even be a requirement. Either way I'd disagree that very few can lead; it's just that very few have good policies.
Erm...they aren't. John Major was Prime Minister and only had a few O-levels, some of which he gained after he'd finished school via correspondence courses.

As for policies, these are not the work of individual MPs. But even they were, and you accept that MPs have "good policies" (which few people have) then doesn't this strengthen the case that MPs are appropriately paid?

2) So do a lot of ordinary people. Difference is those ordinary people also have the real-world experience that you've mentioned MPs lack. I personally think that people should be discourages from entering politics until they're at least 30+ year old and had worked in the real world.
As indeed many MPs do have. They aren't all David Cameron. My former MP (I've moved) was a miner then a social worker, becoming an MP in his early 50s.

I don't think most MPs are as out of touch as people like you would have us believe. It certainly hasn't been my experience. Any good constituency MP will be in touch with the concerns and activities of his constituency and the people who reside there.
wildrover
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think they are overpaid but I don't think they can justify a pay rise when the rest of the public sector are having their salary frozen. They should be leading by example and delaying any rise until it is possible to give the rest of the public sector a rise.

I do think the cabinet ministers and PM should take a pay cut though since most of our laws are now made in Brussels.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rich2606)
What is it you think MPs actually do? Sit around on their arses claiming expenses all day?! If you actually think about their workload, their responsibilities, the stress involved, the harassment by the press and public they suffer... then I'd change the question to "Why are MPs paid so little". I do not envy them one bit.
Totally agree. It's hardly like have the same responsibilities as a primary school teacher whose only real worry is which smiley-face sticker to use on her pupils' work, is it?
LeoLeoLeo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doing the job right is the most important thing. I wouldn't care if they got £200k a year! Politicians in other european countries get payed vast amounts more.
Cannotbelieveit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm fairly sure British MP's have lower salaries than that of their main European counterparts.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yea I was thinking of mentioning Obama. It's a terrible system when people whose only real world work-experience is "community organizer" can get elected to lead a country.

I don't know much about SNP but how are UKIP's policies half-arsed? Compared to the other political parties they are the only ones promising to actually do something radical (leave the EU). Their flat-tax proposal is also far more drastic and different to what we have today ("from each according to his ability...") and planning to scrap foreign aid to countries with a space-program more advanced than our own seems like a smart move.
Oh Dear. A little off topic but i do hope Farage is not that ignorant. For a start the UK space industry is one of the most advanced in the world supporting over 100,000 jobs. Secondly we sent our own probe to Mars back in 2003 and make tonnes of components for other countries. On top of that we get lots of contracts from the ESA of which we are a major contributor.

In short, we don't send aid to countries with more advanced space programmes than our own unless Farage believes that sending it up on the rocket (a relatively easy part compared to keeping your probe, satellite or telescope working) is what we should deem as more advanced.

Note that i have no major love for foreign aid, i simply deplore populism when it panders to the ignorant.
elohssa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
For a start the UK space industry is one of the most advanced in the world supporting over 100,000 jobs.
I wouldn't place it in the top 10.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a toughie because if you didn't pay them anything they would all have to be independently wealthy, so you might not get a very "common" Commons, and even if you did it would in theory increase the potential for corruption and kickbacks.

On the other side of the coin, if it did attract the independently wealthy, there is less attraction for them in corruption and kickbacks, which is why the Lords can often be more principled and sensible than the Commons, Christ help us.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
6% of global market share for a country with 2% of global GDP seems pretty good to me.

Certainly bigger than India or China who were the ones referred to.
elohssa
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
6% of global market share for a country with 2% of global GDP seems pretty good to me.

Certainly bigger than India or China who were the ones referred to.
China has actually sent people to space.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
China has actually sent people to space.
The first British person in space went up in 1991.

Aside from which sending people up is not hard in comparison to sending probes, satellites and telescopes and keeping them working so again i ask how their programme is more advanced,
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As far as I understood it, the UK has the only profitable space industry.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
As far as I understood it, the UK has the only profitable space industry.
Never knew that (did know it's one of the most profitable).

I imagine that's down to it being almost exclusively private sector driven. In order to get about £600mn from the government that had to be met with planned private finance of about £10bn.

If current projections are correct then by 2030 we could have 10% global market share and 200,000 jobs supported.A great (and unknown) success.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (15)
28.85%
Spring (9)
17.31%
Autumn/Fall (14)
26.92%
Winter (8)
15.38%
I love them all equally (6)
11.54%