The Student Room Group

Colour blindness - medical

I know that i am colour blind... CP4 actually, I had a lantern test done at the medical centre in cranwell when I was younger. I know that the job I want to do (supply) is a colour blindness CP4, but when you do your medical if your found to be colour blind will you have to do other tests or will they be able to determine your colour blindness from the medical alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone is tested for colour perception. If there are any issues then they will go into it further.
Reply 2
Ah really... Might put me back, but it's annoying because I've already done it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why is it annoying? They tend to not do the lantern test. If you are colourblind you'd not be safe working on an airfield for example. It is pretty clear cut. Were you hoping to hide it or lie?
Reply 4
No neither of those, it's annoying because I know I am already colour blind and so did the AFCO ( at some point) the annoying bit is it will set my application back a little

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Pretty sure its just a case of having the Ishiara test and then if you are found to be colourblind it is immediately followed by the lantern test to determine what CP you are. There is no use trying to hide it or lie about it because they test everyone for colourblindness regardless of whether the role is barred to colourblind people or not. It shouldn't set back your application at all.
Reply 6
Original post by Rhys_Mayes
No neither of those, it's annoying because I know I am already colour blind and so did the AFCO ( at some point) the annoying bit is it will set my application back a little

That's just the way they work.

I applied for a Sixth Form Scholarship, way back when, had to give all my medical details over including the precise and up-to-the-minute prescription for my eyesight (I'm short-sighted).
When I later applied after leaving university I had to go through the exact same procedure all over again, colour perception tests, the lot.
Reply 7
Yeah Drew you have a point, and my lantern test was done originally because I was going for engineering officer but I was CP4 so that was a no go

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm cp3 and have stereoscopic vision or whatever you call it. Good job my first choice was pers spt... But although I already knew this, I still had to do the tests, twice.

Nevertheless, if this is going to be your Career, what's another month or so?

My advice, be patient and look at the bigger picture :biggrin:
Reply 9
It's fine mate, I had the medical and did the colour blindness test and they didn't bat an eyelid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Happy days
Reply 11
Original post by Rhys_Mayes
It's fine mate, I had the medical and did the colour blindness test and they didn't bat an eyelid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Rhys

My son has had an eye test prior to his medical for an ASOp next weekend they have picked up a 'minor defect' in red/green. do you know how the raf will assess this - is it on a scale of cp1 - cp4
Reply 12
Yeah, it is! Contact the AFCO tommorow, and just ask what the colour perception level is for that job. I think it's a 2 although ring them to double check

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest