The Student Room Group

A* target grades at GCSE

Hey there, so basically at school my target grades so far are all A's however i believe that i have the potential to exceed and achieve grade A*s in some subjects. So i asked my head of year and he said no one in the UK is allowed to have a target grade of an A*. Is this true? if so why?
Feel free to post your target grades :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no, in my school some people are predicted a* in maths and stuff but I don't think that they are supposed to do that...
I did my GCSEs two years ago and I was predicted A*s for some subjects. Predicted grades don't really matter though at GCSE it's your actual grade that's important

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by MrT123
Hey there, so basically at school my target grades so far are all A's however i believe that i have the potential to exceed and achieve grade A*s in some subjects. So i asked my head of year and he said no one in the UK is allowed to have a target grade of an A*. Is this true? if so why?

I left school 2 years ago but I was predicted A* in everything apart from PE, ICT and RE - maybe it has changed now? If it has, it's a good job because when I was 'only' (according to teachers) getting A's, I was classed as 'unachieving'
I'm sure that most of my targets were A*s? Not that I actually got many and it was a couple of years ago, but still...

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my school all my target grades are A*, its done by a company called the fisher family trust and it looks at all factors of your life e.g your past grades, where you live, your school etc. I don't believe in it though, because if you work hard enough you can get an A*
Original post by harrym96
I left school 2 years ago but I was predicted A* in everything apart from PE, ICT and RE - maybe it has changed now? If it has, it's a good job because when I was 'only' (according to teachers) getting A's, I was classed as 'unachieving'

Exactly why I hated it. Also, why does everyone have that avatar and what does it mean? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by furryface12
Exactly why I hated it. Also, why does everyone have that avatar and what does it mean? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing it means Anti Bullying Week - it was changed itself haha :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by MrT123

I was predicted all A*s for mine, but that was a few years ago now... I can see no logical reason why no one is allowed to have a* predictions though.. sounds a bit weird, anyhow, your gcse predictions don't mean anything, I presume by the time you get around to applying for something (i.e. uni or apprentiship or something) you will have finished your gcse's so will have achieved grades, therefore in conclusion I don't think anyone other than yourself and your school will see the predictions so they aren't really important at all. If you think you can get a*s, go get them, I wouldn't worry about not being predicted them though!
Reply 9
Original post by MrT123

My schools the same, I always thought It was so the school could say well done you beat your target as supposed to well done you achieved it. It looks better on the school and individual department in the school :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by furryface12

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can change it here :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2519375
I'm not sure if you're not allowed to have an A* target grade, but I can see why if you can't. Anyway, predicted grades don't really make any difference - especially if they're done by CATs. Just make your own personal targets if you feel you can exceed your official ones.
You definitely are allowed to have A* target grades. My school definitely gives out A* target grades for GCSE pupils. It's probably just the policy of your school.
Reply 13
Original post by MrT123

That's not true at all I'm predicted an A* for French and History. But to be honest potential grades don't really reflect your ability anyway, at the start of year 10 I was predicted a B in French but I got an A in the mock so my potential was raised to an A* so just don't worry about potential grades.
Reply 14
I'm predicted A* in most things, which is a little stressful, but it's also quite motivating as I'm determined to get those grades! :smile:
Original post by harrym96
I'm guessing it means Anti Bullying Week - it was changed itself haha :smile:

Ohh that makes sense, didn't know that was this week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I was predicted 2A* but exceeded that by far.
Original post by MrT123

well he doesn't know what he is talking because there is a lot of people with a* predicted grades!
Reply 18
Guys I asked him once again and he replied its a change to the governments policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I finished my GCSEs last year, and I was predicted A*s.

Quick Reply