freshman years mistakes to avoid..share your wisdom Watch

dinnie
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Now, we are all, most of us, well into college. But wouldn't you agree that we have all committed stupid mistakes through our freshman years. Worse still, we could have easily avoided them – we knew we were on the wrong (may be, you just didn't know).
I think it would be a great idea to share our nightmare experiences. If there are any college-bound teens hanging around in here it would be some help to them.

Hmm, to start it all off, here is a brief list of my blunders:
1. Not studying regularly: I was a straight A student at school but upon entering college, I got so addicted to the Internet and hanging out that eventually I ended doing all-nighters before exams. It was really awful. My grades were affected and I can see how it could all have been avoided if I had exercised some more will power.

2. Not befriending seniors: I am a dab hand at making friends. I made so many out there. I really felt proud and did not think that it was any need befriending any senior as I had loads of friends in my class. I did not realize that these friends were not good enough to guide me through the college rules and not just experienced enough to acquaint me of the tricks and tactics that work at this college.

3. I wasn't much of a speaker at class. This was probably because I wasn't doing my self-study at home but it did affect my rapport with the teachers who had earlier, during the admission procedure, been impressed with my school performance.
amie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My advice would be to always, always make revision notes as you go along. I ended up making AS revision notes during my A2 revision! Don't ask why... just don't do it if you want to get your predicted grades :p:
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My advice is simple ... when you revise for A-levels its easy. Just wait for uni exams, a whole different kettle of fish. Look forward to hoping you pass or hit that 60% mark for a 2i even if you were a straight A student at school.

In my first year at uni I didnt work hard enough and only got a 2.2... regret that. In second year I did it right, still partied and had an awesome year but I worked in my time rather than dicking around and got a first, placing me in the top 2 or 3 people of my 270 strong course .
.:fluff:.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Take it seriously. The worst thing i did was think "I've just done my GCSE's and I got reakky good grades without having to try, so it's going to be the same surely?" I couldnt have been more wrong. I totally messed up me as levels, partly due to not being arsed and partly due to the fact i knew i could resit the exam in January if i didn't do good enough this time round. Ended up spending all of christmas revising for my AS resits aswell as my A2 exams.

Also do as well as you can on coursework if your subject has it. Fair enough it might well be the most redious thing you ever do in your life but if you get a good grade on your coursework you're half way there
classic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My best advice would be to just keep up to date with notes/homework because once you don't do a piece of work it all just seems to build up.

I wouldn't try and over do it, as working too much can sometimes be counterproductive, but if you don't understand something I'd definately advise sorting it out with your teacher asap rather than 2 weeks before the exams
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As some others have said, the main thing is just to work consistently and not let things get on top of you. Use most of your free periods for homework and do some in the evenings as well. Make sure you understand everything and get help with anything you don't. If you have to miss a lesson for whatever reason, make sure you catch up with the work you missed by speaking to a friend in the class or your teacher. And get the best grades possible in coursework to take the pressure off a bit for exams.
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Keep the good advice coming please
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (78)
26.44%
No (217)
73.56%

Watched Threads