University Offers - Perk Negotiation Watch

Theodoore
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I know that it has been asked before about negotiating for lower offers etc, and that's not what I'm asking. What I want to know is, is it possible to negotiate perks with a university if you firm choice them?

Background:
Predicted A*A*AA (and A in EPQ), and I have applied to 5 universities who are not necessarily top bracket, with my lowest offer being ABB. I would very much like to go to either Reading or Newcastle to do my undergraduate. However, since it is not the case that I will be struggling for the conditional offers, would be it possible to negotiate perks such as scholarships, accommodation discounts, unconditional offer, or a confirmed part-time job at the uni (for example, a library position at Reading) in exchange for making them my firm choice. It would be in line with the current Birmingham scheme where 1000 unconditional offers are being made this year to students predicted straight As in order to put faith behind the students who firm choice them, as well as attracting the brightest students.

Is this a possibility, and if so would it be best to email them asking, or perhaps something else? Sorry if I have come across as arrogant in my query, I would just like an answer as I don't want to come across as rude to the universities.

Thank you!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, if I were an admissions tutor at Reading or Newcastle and you contacted me and said, in essence, 'Hey, I agree to come here if you guarantee me a part-time job in the library and 5% off hall fees' I would refuse to give you an offer no matter how qualified you are; if an offer had already been made, I would withdraw it.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They'll just laugh at your email. It does come across as arrogant, as you're suggesting you're so amazing they must want you at any cost.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is one of those emails that would be printed off, pinned to the office noticeboard and laughed at by all who saw it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Theodoore)
I know that it has been asked before about negotiating for lower offers etc, and that's not what I'm asking. What I want to know is, is it possible to negotiate perks with a university if you firm choice them?

Background:
Predicted A*A*AA (and A in EPQ), and I have applied to 5 universities who are not necessarily top bracket, with my lowest offer being ABB. I would very much like to go to either Reading or Newcastle to do my undergraduate. However, since it is not the case that I will be struggling for the conditional offers, would be it possible to negotiate perks such as scholarships, accommodation discounts, unconditional offer, or a confirmed part-time job at the uni (for example, a library position at Reading) in exchange for making them my firm choice. It would be in line with the current Birmingham scheme where 1000 unconditional offers are being made this year to students predicted straight As in order to put faith behind the students who firm choice them, as well as attracting the brightest students.

Is this a possibility, and if so would it be best to email them asking, or perhaps something else? Sorry if I have come across as arrogant in my query, I would just like an answer as I don't want to come across as rude to the universities.

Thank you!
The only legitimate emails you could send to all 5 choices are:-

1 to ask the department whether they have any scholarships for people applying to read whatever and what are the qualifying conditions.

2 to ask central admissions what are the policies on accommodation preferences/guarantees.

3 to ask central admissions what are the policies on recruiting students to work for the university.

That way you are not asking for a favour but you may find that you qualify for something at one that isn't available at another and it tips your decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (32)
22.22%
The paper was reasonable (61)
42.36%
Not feeling great about that exam (27)
18.75%
It was TERRIBLE (24)
16.67%

Watched Threads