How do I work out my income tax liability? Watch

Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I started work earlier this year (after 6th April) and I pay national insurance on each payslip but there has never been any income tax showing?

I have worked out how many days I would have worked up to 5th April 2014 (this includes public & annual holidays as I get paid for these days). I have multiplied this by the daily rate I receive, and deducted my personal allowance (£9,440).

The number that remains is a positive number, though not by much, so I should be paying tax at 20% on this.

Is income tax only paid once your accumulated taxable pay goes over the threshold?

And is income tax calculated on the gross salary or the salary less NI?

I would have thought that my work would get it right, considering the industry they are in.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its on the gross.

listentotaxman.com is your best bet

You aren't paid monthly the same amount then?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its on the gross.

Runninground
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Its on the gross.

I am paid monthly however I claim expenses some months, so it's not always the same amount. I looked at that website and it says I should be paying income tax. However I have not worked for the full 13/14 tax year, just the majority of it so do I put my salary in for the year to date or my yearly salary?

If I work out how much I would have earned this tax year (excluding expenses because I can't predict these), gross, it is still over the threshold.

I can't understand why they would get it wrong. I am on the normal tax code and there is a girl who started just before me and hers is correct.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Expenses aren't taxable so ignore that.

Just put in x/12 of your salary where x is the number of months to be worked in the year.

Sounds odd though, email/call HR.
Runninground
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Expenses aren't taxable so ignore that.

Just put in x/12 of your salary where x is the number of months to be worked in the year.

Sounds odd though, email/call HR.
Yeah I'll see what they say. Thanks
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (525)
46.92%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (347)
31.01%
I don't have an opinion (247)
22.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed