triple science reform? Watch

live7
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Heyyy I have a question, I am in the year in which I pick my gcse options (Y9) and heard briefly that if I wished to take triple science I could only have 3 other options instead of four. Is this true? Also why has Mr Gove changed it so that it is your first humanity etc. that counts for your ebac. not your highest ?

Thanks
Live7
samiimas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
E bac has been scraped :/
live7
Rep:
?
Really? Because last week I was told I couldn't do an extra curricular R.S have because I may not get as high in that as my option humanity and add I was taking the R.S have first it was that one that would count on my ebac.

I swear my school just looked keeping us in the dark!
Thanks
live7
xderaai
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OMG DO NOT DO EBAC

NO

GOD NO

WORST DECISION I MADE IN MY LIFE (eh, exaggeration a bit but ygm)

The year I had to chose my GCSEs, EBac had just formed and the higher pupils like me were force fed information of how 'you can't get into Uni without a Lang, and Humanities, you need ebac blah blah'. Good god, how I wish I could go back in time.

I chose History (School History Project Ver.) as a Humanities and am fine with this as I love and enjoy it.

However because of EBAC I had to choose Urdu - ****ing hell, I am USELESS on languages. I have terrible memory and since I go a secondary which has an asian/Pakistani background majority, everyone in my class more or less got the lessons and understood. I on the other hand am Bengali and so sit there clueless and lost.

Urdu is a serious downer for me; for all of my subjects I am more or less confident that if I try I will get an A/A*; Urdu however is just a stress and no matter HOW hard I try, I will be lucky to get a B. I know I sound big-headed, but I'm not one to stress over school stuff for whatever reason my brain has and since Urdu came along, it kind of ruined it.

To be more bright however, I just did a Speaking and got an A...hah, how lucky, yet this took more effort than I wanted to put in. Effort that could have been wasted on something I enjoyed such as (if I hadn't choosen Urdu) Citizenship or D and T etc.

And then this year I find out EBAC IS NOT EVEN NEEDED. Yeah, furious is an understatement as to how I felt.

When it comes to options I think different schools do it differently.

When I chose triple science I had to do three other subjects and RS was compulsory; I thought it was still compulsory but what do I know.

Go to your head of year/form teacher and get information; we don't know how your school works/
Canttellyou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on the school. At my school I only got three options and if you want to do triple science it takes an option, so I only got two. I'm doing the Ebacc by the way, I think it's good if you're academic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
live7
Rep:
?
We can take 4 options then r.s after school extra if you wanted. Whether you do triple science or not depends on your predicted grades (mine being an A I would have done) but now I have been told I may only get 3 options of I want to do triple science. I wanted to take textiles, geography, history and French but if I can only have the options I don't know which I should get rid of. Probably one of geography or history.
live7
Rep:
?
(Original post by xderaai)
OMG DO NOT DO EBAC

NO

GOD NO

WORST DECISION I MADE IN MY LIFE (eh, exaggeration a bit but ygm)

The year I had to chose my GCSEs, EBac had just formed and the higher pupils like me were force fed information of how 'you can't get into Uni without a Lang, and Humanities, you need ebac blah blah'. Good god, how I wish I could go back in time.

I chose History (School History Project Ver.) as a Humanities and am fine with this as I love and enjoy it.

However because of EBAC I had to choose Urdu - ****ing hell, I am USELESS on languages. I have terrible memory and since I go a secondary which has an asian/Pakistani background majority, everyone in my class more or less got the lessons and understood. I on the other hand am Bengali and so sit there clueless and lost.

Urdu is a serious downer for me; for all of my subjects I am more or less confident that if I try I will get an A/A*; Urdu however is just a stress and no matter HOW hard I try, I will be lucky to get a B. I know I sound big-headed, but I'm not one to stress over school stuff for whatever reason my brain has and since Urdu came along, it kind of ruined it.

To be more bright however, I just did a Speaking and got an A...hah, how lucky, yet this took more effort than I wanted to put in. Effort that could have been wasted on something I enjoyed such as (if I hadn't choosen Urdu) Citizenship or D and T etc.

And then this year I find out EBAC IS NOT EVEN NEEDED. Yeah, furious is an understatement as to how I felt.

When it comes to options I think different schools do it differently.

When I chose triple science I had to do three other subjects and RS was compulsory; I thought it was still compulsory but what do I know.

Go to your head of year/form teacher and get information; we don't know how your school works/
Only half an r.s gcse is compulsory I wanted to do the other half but I can't because that would edit my ebac grades so my teacher won't let me. I was going to do ebac anyway as I like French, geography, history and textiles anyway.
dragonkeeper999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It depends on your school about the triple science thing. When I was at secondary school, everyone in the top three classes had the option to do triple science in a kind of 'fast track' system in the same number of lessons as everyone else did double/ single science, and so we had four GCSE options. However, those in 'band two' (i.e. average ability students) could only do triple science as a subject taking up an additional option block worth of lessons - so they only had three other option choices.
Some schools will only offer the second option - to do it as an additional subject choice, whereas other will only offer the first - it really does depend on your school
786bossman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Triple science doesn't count as an option.
I'm in year 11 doing triple science now, and it is more intense double science. In triple science you do 3 courses for each science: Core, additional, and then triple. Double science is 2 courses per science: Core, and additional.
With triple science, you do 9 science exams, and additional is just 6 exams.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All schools are different. Your school will know more about how they organise their options than anyone here on TSR, so you should really ask your KS4 coordinator instead.

With respect to the EBac, it's absolutely completely irrelevant and unimportant. It's definitely a good idea to take languages and humanities because they're excellent, worthwhile subjects to take, but don't do it because of the EBac. I'm fairly certain it does still exist, but nobody cares about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.09%
The paper was reasonable (388)
42.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
19.12%
It was TERRIBLE (147)
16.15%

Watched Threads