Can I take an A level independently? Watch

Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I REALLY want to do A level Philosophy, I'm really interested in the subject (I want to do PPE at uni). But my school doesn't offer it, am I able to take this in my own time? If so how is everything organised, like the exam etc. By the way I'm in the middle of taking my A level maths early in year 11 so it won't necessarily be a massive workload on top of my normal A levels as one of them will of been completed anyway leaving room for Philosophy.
iWoof
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
According yo Oxford.
They said " You may apply for PPE having done any combination of subjects at school; it is not necessary to have studied Politics, Philosophy or Economics. History and Mathematics are useful backgrounds, but are not essential."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by iWoof)
According yo Oxford.
They said " You may apply for PPE having done any combination of subjects at school; it is not necessary to have studied Politics, Philosophy or Economics. History and Mathematics are useful backgrounds, but are not essential."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am aware of this so I was initially going to take Maths,Physics,History,French. But I was just thinking if philosophy is available to me outside of school I might as well take that instead of physics because a) I like Philosophy a lot more than Physics and b) Despite what Oxford says I'm sure having some foundation knowledge on philosophy will help you somewhere along the course.

I know it's not a necessity it's more of a preference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.17%
The paper was reasonable (395)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.16%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.15%

Watched Threads