A level subjects Watch

legendary1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am currently in yr11 and will be taking A levels next year. I have always had an interest in a career within Law therefore I was wondering what subjects to choose and what subjects to avoid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by legendary1)
I am currently in yr11 and will be taking A levels next year. I have always had an interest in a career within Law therefore I was wondering what subjects to choose and what subjects to avoid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For law you can pretty much do anything. Even medicine based subjects can break into high end law universities without issues.

Subjects that are too sexy for the course would probably be like History, English lit, maths, sciences, classic/ancient history, languages, economics, geography.

But other good subjects (and fairly common) would be subjects like politics, English language, psychology / sociology etc.

Try avoid having more than 1 'soft' subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cookiecrumblexx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
for law there are no specific subject requirements however it is strongly advised that your subjects reflect that you obtain skills like being a confident communicator which drama/English language would demonstrate. you must also prove you can be critical and analyse which history and English literature demonstrate. also picking a language looks good as there are law courses which combine languages such a French which broadens career opportunities and clients when you are qualified and working as a professional lawyer
legendary1
Rep:
?
I was planning to take History, Maths, Economics and ,(Government Politics or English Lit) or May even decide to do just the first 3 A levels to save the hassle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cookiecrumblexx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i would take on 4 looks good i would suggest you do history maths government politics and eng lit
CooperTrooper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cookiecrumblexx)
i would take on 4 looks good i would suggest you do history maths government politics and eng lit
Soundest advice here. Usually universities value hard essay subjects (where you have to argue and be analytical) like Eng Lit, History & Politics in combination with a logic-based subject like Mathematics or Physics.
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by legendary1)
I was planning to take History, Maths, Economics and ,(Government Politics or English Lit) or May even decide to do just the first 3 A levels to save the hassle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths history and econ are a classic combo

I would try at least politics or english. if you dont like it then so be it, at least you tried ^^
(Politics is generally easier i hear)
legendary1
Rep:
?
I am trying to avoid doing English Lit because I seem to not enjoy it as much as other subject. Yet I am aware that by choosing English Lit my communication skills which are required in this type of career will significantly improve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moe Leicester
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you dont need any particular subjects to do law, my mate got in by doing product design, chemistry, media and spanish
cookiecrumblexx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I just think that to do law well a good use of vocabulary and analytical skills are required
cookiecrumblexx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
make a pros and cons list of the following alevel : biology chemistry history English lit and theatre studies. include what you like/dislike about the subject and include your experience with workload difficulty and enjoyablility. tahnk you x
legendary1
Rep:
?
I appreciate all your post and I am quite confident with my A level choices now. thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
33.33%
The paper was reasonable (1)
11.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
11.11%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
44.44%

Watched Threads