Worried about moving schools for sixth form? Watch

restless5oul
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm in Year 11 and right now it's that time when people are looking around other schools for potential options for sixth form. At first I was sure I was just going to stay at my current school (not a great school, grades are a bit shoddy) but then it occurred to me. Am I holding myself back?
Without trying to sound big headed, I am a capable and bright student (cringe I know) and I think my current school isn't challenging me enough academically. So I have been looking around at other schools.
The only problem is I have social anxiety so trying to fit into new social situations is like a living nightmare for me, the idea that I might be stuck in an unfamiliar place with little or no people I know is terrifying. But at the same time I don't want to keep myself from succeeding and getting into a good university.
And because of these I have been reluctant to attend any open evenings and have missed many. I'd really love some advice on what you think I should do.
Should I move, potentially into a new school where I don't know anyone? Or stay (where I could still get decent grades) but let everyone move ahead of me and not get into as good of a university as I could?
Thanks in advance
nguyenj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally think you should go for it and apply at a different sixth form/college to be honest. You don't want to be continuing on with life, always thinking about what would have happened if you did this instead.

There's a likely chance that you'll regret it if you don't. I know how social anxiety can be horrible, but we all come to different situations throughout our life, and this would be a good start to help overcome that.

You owe it to yourself to go to a better sixth form, to get the best grades you can get to go into university and have an amazing time. Try not to have any regrets and remember that you're doing this for a reason.

You're doing it because you want to be happy, right? Of course everyone wants to happy, so just go with your gut feeling.

- Jenny (P.S. May I suggest St. Paul's Sixth Form in Edgbaston if you are located in Birmingham? It's an incredible sixth form and it welcomes everyone with open arms)
coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say that, in the long run, going to a good school is more important but I guess that's easier said than done. If you haven't missed them, go to as many open evenings as you can - compare the pass rates, see who else is going and decide from there.

You sound like doing well is important to you and I think there would be nothing worse than sitting in college for two years thinking 'I could do so much better'. I would say go to a college that will challenge you and give you better results in the end. I find it really hard to talk to people and the whole 'everyone's new, they all want to make new friends' thing annoys me so much but I have to say it's true.
If you really don't enjoy yourself there's the option of moving to your school sixth form - obviously you don't want to get around every college in town but I guess it's a backup plan!
Good luck
restless5oul
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks so much for your replies!
I think I'm going to talk to my parents about seriously considering changing because there is this really good sixth form nearby
Thank you again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
22.47%
The paper was reasonable (398)
45.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (159)
18.32%
It was TERRIBLE (116)
13.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed