Poll: Do you think sexuality is a lifestyle choice? Watch

Poll: Do you believe sexuality is a choice?
Yes, I believe sexuality is a choice. (11)
12.36%
No, I believe sexuality is innate and cannot be chosen. (78)
87.64%
mikele
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Curious to see how many people believe that sexuality is a choice, prompted by recent threads on the TSR. Apologies if this has been done before, just intrigued to know what proportion of the youth of today believe the notion that it is a choice.
Hellz_Bellz!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mikele)
Just curious to see how many people still believe that sexuality is a choice, prompted by recent threads on the TSR. Apologies if this has been done before, just intrigued to know what proportion of the supposedly enlightened youth of today actually still believe the absurd notion that it IS a choice. Not wanting to trigger a debate, just curious about the numbers.
Nobody makes a thread like this without knowing it will trigger debate.

And no, it is not a choice.
The Angry Stoic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Obviously sexuality isn't a choice but it is a choice have a gay lifestyle. As in to have gay sex just as it is a choice to have normal sex.

Not that you shouldn't do it. Go forth and multiply gays! Or at least... Try very hard to
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is absolutely not a choice. I can't stop my bisexuality. It just happens.
mikele
Rep:
?
If people want to debate that's fine but the intent is to gather numbers. Should I clarify that by sexuality I quite literally mean sexuality and not what you do with it?
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There has been soo many debates on this on tsr ... I can't remember who said it, but someone explained how its stupid to think anyone would want to be gay in this world. Why would you want to be so different and face bullying at best and the death penalty at worst !?!?!?!?
The Angry Stoic
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wonder if it is possible to change your sexuality. Stoicism teaches to overcome desires through meditation and self control and whatnot and other philosophies go straight at eradicating desires.

I'd imagine it would be very hard to do. Even harder to do without causing massive psychological damage. *Cough* sexually repressed religious fanatics *cough*.
bananaterracottapie
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
being innate and a choice aren't mutually exclusive...however, sexuality clearly isn't a choice, it is an attraction and therefore to say it is a choice would be a contradiction
mikele
Rep:
?
(Original post by bananaterracottapie)
being innate and a choice aren't mutually exclusive...however, sexuality clearly isn't a choice, it is an attraction and therefore to say it is a choice would be a contradiction
You're right actually, there is a whoooole another argument for whether sexuality is genetic or you're born with it, or whether it occurs due to upbringing. Another poll for another week perhaps?
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
No.
arminb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just curious to see how many people still believe that sexuality is a choice, prompted by recent threads on the TSR. Apologies if this has been done before, just intrigued to know what proportion of the supposedly enlightened youth of today actually still believe the absurd notion that it IS a choice. Not wanting to trigger a debate, just curious about the numbers.
You wont get a very objective sample that way. You shouldn't trigger people to support what you want in order to avoid bias.
mikele
Rep:
?
(Original post by arminb)
You wont get a very objective sample that way. You shouldn't trigger people to support what you want in order to avoid bias.
Good point, will edit.
james22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes I do, I think that one day a group of kids in school were unhappy with how little they were being bullied so decided to start shagging men to get attacked more.
pane123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good point, will edit.
You have not edited it enough. Remove 'supposedly enlightened'.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
nope, I am not a moron
mikele
Rep:
?
(Original post by pane123)
You have not edited it enough. Remove 'supposedly enlightened'.
That doesn't infer an opinion on sexuality, it is a comment that implies I believe that the youth of today have arguably not progressed in terms of 'liberal' thinking, regardless of whether that thinking is right or wrong. But as you wish
pane123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That doesn't infer an opinion on sexuality, it is a comment that implies I believe that the youth of today have arguably not progressed in terms of 'liberal' thinking, regardless of whether that thinking is right or wrong. But as you wish
I think the way it is now reads well if an unbiased poll is what you desire.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think we will pop this in society.
mimi112
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
everything is a blank slate except sexuality.
Dopamine Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh dear:

Abdul-Karim
arminb
Juichiro
Mackay
originaltitle
Qari
Titus20
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.17%
The paper was reasonable (395)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.16%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.15%

Watched Threads