Or would I have to take normal Mathematics? :confused:
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jagaerenkatt)
Or would I have to take normal Mathematics? :confused:
Normal maths. Most important subject for CS.

Use of maths sounds like a shoddy spin off and i have memories seeing it on many 'non-accepted subjects at A2' for several universities.
jagaerenkatt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm taking it alongside Computing, would that make it any better? I looked at a few Computer Science/Computing Courses at university - didn't seem like an A-Level in Computing made much difference, though they did say it was preferred.
borysek01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mathematics is compulsary in most if not all CS degrees. Anything apart from that is just preference. Physics is recommended, Computing is also in some cases. Why some? Because some universities believe that it teaches bad habits, just like A-level Law does, for a law degree.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm taking it alongside Computing, would that make it any better? I looked at a few Computer Science/Computing Courses at university - didn't seem like an A-Level in Computing made much difference, though they did say it was preferred.
Maths and Computing is an excellent combination.

The only reason A level computing is not a requirement is because not all schools are able to offer it. I think if you did have the chance to take it, go for it. Puts you at a slight advantage compared to other students.
jagaerenkatt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jkizer)
Maths and Computing is an excellent combination.

The only reason A level computing is not a requirement is because not all schools are able to offer it. I think if you did have the chance to take it, go for it. Puts you at a slight advantage compared to other students.
I meant Use of Maths, sorry. Would Use of Maths and Computing be a good combination?

I only ask because at my 6th Form interview, the women worried me saying that my predicted grades for Mathematics might not be good enough, saying that Use of Maths would be easier to get in to. It would be easier to change courses early.
ninuzu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths is compulsory for CS. They'd even rather you did further maths as well, but that's not essential. But if you want to do computer science at university, you MUST do maths.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I meant Use of Maths, sorry. Would Use of Maths and Computing be a good combination?

I only ask because at my 6th Form interview, the women worried me saying that my predicted grades for Mathematics might not be good enough, saying that Use of Maths would be easier to get in to. It would be easier to change courses early.
Use of maths sucks. I personally wouldnt take it at all, if the sixth form wouldnt let me do normal maths.

try work hard for gcse and get a decent grade !
jagaerenkatt
Rep:
?
Thanks all - I've done a Maths exam recently, I'll probably resit it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.05%
The paper was reasonable (274)
50.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.96%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.81%

Watched Threads