OCR AS physics practical assessment Watch

mk2212
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I just done my first practical assessment paper in AS physics... I know it's expected not to do well but generally, how do you do the paper and maximise marks? Any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sparta_Kane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, I'm doing A2 Physics on OCR at the moment and I loathe the practicals. These seem to have a very tenuous link to the physics you've been studying so make sure you know everything you have been taught about it. Also get your teac to read out the description that candidates are allowed to be given as that can help.

If you can, try & find the mark schemes to the practise ones so you can see what they want in the answers. Also - especially in the evaluatives - I tend to put down everything that could possibly be right. They don't deduct marks provided you don't contradict yourself.

Best of luck!
mk2212
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sparta_Kane)
Yes, I'm doing A2 Physics on OCR at the moment and I loathe the practicals. These seem to have a very tenuous link to the physics you've been studying so make sure you know everything you have been taught about it. Also get your teac to read out the description that candidates are allowed to be given as that can help.

If you can, try & find the mark schemes to the practise ones so you can see what they want in the answers. Also - especially in the evaluatives - I tend to put down everything that could possibly be right. They don't deduct marks provided you don't contradict yourself.

Best of luck!
It is one of the things I am most worried about if I'm honest, but I guess if I look over worked examples and read the mark scheme I will be able to do well in it. Thank you for the advice! How did you do at AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sparta_Kane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any time It's one of the things you'll probably get better with in practise. Another thing I forgot to mention is once you do the Quantitative (I think; it's the one thats /20) write down any possible errors once you leave the room as that will make life easier in your evaluative.

My AS practicals I got 9/10, 19/20 & 9/10. One-Mark-Off is my middle name :P And full UMS on all the paper exams I did... :angelblush:
mk2212
Rep:
?
Yeah I suppose! And that's brilliant! I really want an A realistically so hopefully my results will be the same! Haha :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
zeroparadox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any time It's one of the things you'll probably get better with in practise. Another thing I forgot to mention is once you do the Quantitative (I think; it's the one thats /20) write down any possible errors once you leave the room as that will make life easier in your evaluative.

My AS practicals I got 9/10, 19/20 & 9/10. One-Mark-Off is my middle name :P And full UMS on all the paper exams I did... :angelblush:
How do you find the practice papers? And what did you do for the physics practical?
Sparta_Kane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't remember all of the ones I did, feels like ages ago. I know one was dropping paint from a straw onto a piece of paper. Another was bouncing a ball on an incline plane. There was also an electricity one.

My teacher had the practise ones. If not you can ask for old assessments to see if you can have a look at those. Not sure if any wll be online.
zeroparadox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't remember all of the ones I did, feels like ages ago. I know one was dropping paint from a straw onto a piece of paper. Another was bouncing a ball on an incline plane. There was also an electricity one.

My teacher had the practise ones. If not you can ask for old assessments to see if you can have a look at those. Not sure if any wll be online.
How about A2? what did you do in A2?
Sparta_Kane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only done 1 set of A2 stuff so far. One was circular motion & the 20 mark one/evaluative was on simple harmonic motion. We've also been told that there are some to do on capacitors, though haven't touched the theory for that yet.
zeroparadox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only done 1 set of A2 stuff so far. One was circular motion & the 20 mark one/evaluative was on simple harmonic motion. We've also been told that there are some to do on capacitors, though haven't touched the theory for that yet.
The teacher never tell us specifically. Could you give a rough idea about the one set you have done? For simple harmonic motion and circular motion, what did you investigate? thanks
Sparta_Kane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've told you everything I was told before the exam myself. The instructions explain everything you need to do during the assessment, just read them carefully. It's also very useful to look at the diagram whilst setting things up.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads