Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
BooksOfWonder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm in my first year of English Studies at Stirling!
What would you like to know exactly?
swan stardust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
BooksOfWonder
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The English module is literature based even though you may analyse the language as well. I think it is mostly like all degree, you have good lecturer and bad ones! But my tutor is great and I know that my friends like theirs as well!
If you choose to do the linguistic modules, it is language based! But you can choose something else, it is up to you
I have English and Linguistic and I love it!
swan stardust
Rep:
?
BooksOfWonder
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it is nice xD
All my friends are going to have to study while I'll be relaxing!
You have essays to do, though! And you have to take three modules, so you might end up with exams during your first year
swan stardust
Rep:
?
georgexD
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stirling is an awesome uni! Hope they will give me a conditional! One friend of mine has applied there too According to leauge tables has ranked 30th for english studies, which is very good
swan stardust
Rep:
?
LannaBanana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All the tutors and lecturers are nice. A bit about the coursework - for the first 3 semesters (1st year and half of 2nd year) you do 5 texts in each. It might change by the time you do them, but first semester I did (ENG911: Author, Reader, Text): Wuthering Heights, The Good Soldier, Hamlet, The Reluctant Fundamentalist, and some poems from Norton Anthology. Second semester was (ENG912: Texts and Contexts): The Rape of the Lock, Measure for Measure, Northanger Abbey, Midnight's Children, and elegaic poetry. The semester I'm (almost) done with (ENG9X3: Meaning and Representation, we did Oedipus the King, Hard Times, Pearl (The Gawain Poet), Henry V and Pirates of the Caribbean. There are also mostly secondary texts, like critical theorists that you need to read as well. It's two essays per semester (2000 words - 40%; 2500 words - 60%).

The grades go 1A, 1B, 1C; then 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F; then 3A, 3B, 3C and beyond that (4s and 5s) is a fail. They're pretty good at giving you feedback for your essays. Secondary sources get you better grades than if you just draw from the text.
swan stardust
Rep:
?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19
  • University of Stirling
    Sat, 14 Sep '19
  • University of Stirling
    Thu, 26 Sep '19

How has 2019 been so far?