Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B615 - Driving Re-Test Bill 2013, TSR Government
    Driving Re-test Bill 2013, TSR Government
    An Act requiring multiple testing of drivers, to ensure safety standards are maintained.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. Re-test

1.1 Every 5 years, commencing from the date of passing of the original driving test, drivers must undergo a re-test
    1.2 Driving re-tests can be applied for at any point during the aforementioned 5 year period and,
    1.3 There is no limit to the amount of times a re-test may be attempted per year (except in the case of 1.7),
    1.4 For the purposes of this Act, 'Driving re-test' refers to the test that is to be taken only by people currently holding a driving license and shall:

(a) consist of a condensed version of both the Theory and Practical test combined, with individual components of each test decided upon by the examiner;
    (b) last around 30 minutes in duration;
    (c) cost £30 for weekdays, and £40 for evening, weekend and bank holidays;
    (d) follow the regulations as set out for the original Driving test as seen on gov.uk's information about the Driving Standards Agency's (DSA's) Driving test website.https://www.gov.uk/practical-driving...-cars/overview

1.5 Upon passing a re-test, a 5 year Driving License will be issued.
    1.6 Those who have not yet passed their original driving test must continue to take the original Theory and Driving tests;
    1.7 If failure of the re-test is due to a 'dangerous fault' (which involves actual danger to the examined, the examiner, the public or property), a further re-test may only be applied for after attending a Compulsory Basic Training course run by DSA approved instructors.

2. Enforcement and Punishment

2.1 The enforcement of this Act is the responsibility of the Department for Transport;
    2.2 The driver's license will be temporarily revoked if:

(a) A re-test is failed;
    (b) A re-test is not passed during the 5 year period specified in 1.1

3. Commencement, short title and extent

3.1 This Act may be cited as the Driving Re-test Bill 2013
    3.2 This bill shall extend to England; and
    3.3 Comes into force immediately following Royal Assent.

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There are hundreds of people who may have never taken a stringent driving test, or more likely passed over 40 years ago and have slipped into very bad driving habits. Which can happen after just 1 year of driving without instruction.This bill is designed to keep drivers regularly aware of the highway code and good driving practice, ensuring safer drivers and fewer road incidents. A current driving test is £62, but as this is a shortened version, a smaller fee is expected and so £30 seems appropriate, without severely denting personal finances over a 5 year period.

ReputationRep:
    The Nanny State in all her repugnant glory.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I agree with this, too many terrible drivers on the roads.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Aside from any ideological ideas on this, it's totally impractical. We have nowhere near the number of driving examiners available at all. Think of how massive the DSA pool would have to be. I can't be bothered to look up how many people holding driving licences there are, but to have them all retested every 5 years would require an insane amount of manpower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Here, here

ReputationRep:
    Every 5 years is maybe too much, but I definitely think we need something like this. So many "experienced" drivers out there who have no idea how to drive properly - don't indicate or look at roundabouts, just pull out and hope for the best! Maybe every 10 years? I'd love it if a law like that was passed. Roads would be a lot safer IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mechie)
    Nope. Aside from any ideological ideas on this, it's totally impractical. We have nowhere near the number of driving examiners available at all. Think of how massive the DSA pool would have to be. I can't be bothered to look up how many people holding driving licences there are, but to have them all retested every 5 years would require an insane amount of manpower.
    Not to mention the effect on the economy with people out of work doing re-tests. Let's be honest, getting one "serious" on the driving test doesn't mean you're a terrible driver who is going to kill someone - it's usually a result of bad luck, nerves or other idiots on the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Aye, I agree with this, too many terrible drivers on the roads.
    Would it really do anything to improve that? All terrible drivers on the roads today must have passed a driving test once, and how you drive during the half an hour of your test isn't going to reflect how you drive afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Far too much bureaucracy involved.

A compulsory re-test every five years from 70 I would however be in favour of.

<3 x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Would it really do anything to improve that? All terrible drivers on the roads today must have passed a driving test once, and how you drive during the half an hour of your test isn't going to reflect how you drive afterwards.
    Fair point. I'm not saying the bill is the remedy, merely pointing out that I'm not opposed to arranging a form of a re-test to show that the driver's road safety hasn't digressed.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of testing those who have got complacent in their older years but every five years is a bit OTT for my liking. Not too keen on this bill as a result so a nay from me.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I understand the purpose of this bill, but don't really see how it would work. As this bill includes people already in possession of a driver's license, that's a whole lot of people who will have to undergo a retest (millions?). A percentage of those people might sit their retest within the first four years, but let's face it, a lot won't worry about it until the fifth year, or forget about it until then - procrastination is quite common. That means that in the fifth year there may not be enough qualified examiners. So, how will that be tackled? Will lots of people be trained up to cover demand? Who will pay for this? And what about after the fifth year? It's likely that a lot of newly trained examiners won't have enough work for the four years after...

It might be best to spread out the retests, but how would it be determined who goes first? People with points on their license? Alphabetical order?

ReputationRep:
    Undecided here, I agree with additional retests, but again, it seems unfair for good drivers to have to schedule in a test somewhere far away.

Probably abstain

ReputationRep:
    No, I totally disagree with a re-test. I don't think it's at all necessary, most people become better drivers after gaining experience not after passing a test.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the idea of drivers being re-tested after a period of time, but disagree with the bill in its current form.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A provisional 'aye' - there are too many dangerous drivers out there. According to the AA, almost four million drivers believe that they would fail the test if they were forced to retake it. That said, a few suggestions: firstly, I think it'd be a good idea to add motorway driving to the test. Secondly, perhaps add a section to ensure we have enough examiners for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Here here.

£30 test fee every 5 years is silly. Something needs to be done about complacency and bad drivers, but the mass re-testing of everyone isn't the way to go about it as far as I'm concerned. Accumulating points for bad driving, and then being forced to re-take after you gather so many points is a better way to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    5 years is far too short a period. I would say 10, at the minimum. As Mechie notes, there is no way whatsoever this would be feasible under a five year period. Even for the 10 years+ I have suggested, you would also need to ensure that driving centres could withstand the new capacity: it is bad enough already with people merely having to take tests once.

A no from me at the moment, I agree with the principle but re-testing after 5 years is totally excessive, infeasible and quite frankly ridiculous.

I also agree with JPKC's comments: introducing motorways as part of the driving test would be very sensible, and as I have said, you need to ensure that there are sufficient examiners/centres able to withstand the new demand.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    When I was originally thinking of this bill, I thought of either every 10/15 years, and then every 5 years after you turn 60, but lots of people said that wasn't often enough. There was a bit of debate in government over timings too - it's a tricky one.
    What would people think to a re-test every 12 years, but then every 5 years after turning 60?

ReputationRep:
    No, not enough examiners, make it free and every 10 years. Second reading for me.
    (Original post by bun)
    What would people think to a re-test every 12 years, but then every 5 years after turning 60?
    Yes. Perfect.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2013
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.