What's the point in keeping a diary? Watch

M'Lady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I keep a diary as an outlet, if I'm feeling a particularly strong emotion and as a form of rememberance, remembering not only significant events but the little things, funny things that people have said or done etc. I also stick in memorabilia from my youth, such as cinema tickets, old cards (birthday cards etc) , sweet wrappers, tags, wrapping paper, pictures, photographs. I would have LOVED to have been able to read a diary of my grandma or mum to know what they were really like years ago, there's only so much you can know from word of mouth, stories change and become exagerated over time, there is usually more truth in something written down at the time.
xChellex
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I keep a diary to keep track of significant events that happen and to think things through or reflect on things.
They can be fascinating to read back, but of course, the more honesty you put into a diary, the better you must hide it from any potential readers!
poppy22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I kept a diary for about a month but I was too scared to write about things that really mattered in case someone read it. So I was like whats the point? And now I've lost it:rolleyes:
db
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
my friend learnt Japanese and kept a diary in Japanese. two birds with one stone I guess
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I allow people to read my diary, I find that most people don't want to and those who do I don't mind them reading it. People only want to read diaries if they aren't supposed to.
coolico
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Never did, wish i had...
Ferrus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It allows you to realise what a self-obsessed prick you were several years earlier.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I keep a diary but it isn't a diary diary - basically its a pretty little notebook where I write the diary in myself so I can write as much or as little as I want.

I also don't write in it everyday - whenever I need to pour myself out.
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
I keep a diary but it isn't a diary diary - basically its a pretty little notebook where I write the diary in myself so I can write as much or as little as I want.

I also don't write in it everyday - whenever I need to pour myself out.
Same as, it's not an every day thing because that never works, it becomes a chore and you don't stick to it. I also don't just write in my diary, my more recent ones have plain pages so that I dont have to feel that I have to write, I can draw or stick things in.
I wouldn't say that my diary wasn't a "diary diary", because a diary is personal and you have to make it personal to suit what you want out of it and how you express yourself. Just because you don't stick to convention does not mean that it isn't a diary.
qwerty_st/n
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i have no choice, i have to keep a learning diary and submit a summary of it with my assessment documents, it's all part of building up my portfolio. otherwise i don't get signed off and so don't progress with my course. i guess it always helps for when i have to write a reflection as well.
emma2306
Badges:
Report 12 years ago
i think its nice 2 keep diaries of wt u did on holiday n tht - as u do 4gt wen u get older, n is nice 2 look bac on all th fun things u did n mebe revisit thos places agen n c how places hav changed
Happy_Rocker
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont actually keep a constant diary but i see the advantage in writing your feelings down. (kind of off topic but...)lately i've been really depressed over my feelings for my best friend (a guy) so having had enough of bottling it all up, i wrote him a 4 page long letter and gave it to him today, i was bricking it, but i feel sooooooo much better now, a bazillion times.
maybe thats why some people keep diaries, as a kind of...release.
poltroon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To remember and reflect on things past. It is incredible how much we forget. To demonstrate, think of a holiday that you went on, say, two years ago. Now describe, from the beginning, in detail, what you did each day. Can you do it? Even if you can, how it was for you at the time is lost. To keep things in temporal perspective, I suppose, I keep a diary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads