Overlap between first year university and A-level further maths? Watch

__Adam__
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
By the end of this year I will have finished the 4 further pure modules (AQA) and will hopefully be going to York to do joint Maths/Physics (Interview coming up ). One of my teachers has said that a chunk of first year university maths is making sure that everyone knows all the maths from those modules, making the first year of uni maths a bit easier for people who did A2 further maths.

Is this true, and how much of first year York maths is actually covered by A2 FM? On the info about Mathematics I on the York site, it just says "Links will be made to A Level Mathematics". I'm not expecting a massive amount of overlap, but I'm guessing that; since they will have people who didn't take FM on the course, they would have to revise the FM material? Also if anyone has any maths questions from first year uni that are based on A2 further maths, can I see what they look like?
Mr Einstein
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lots of overlap so far in the first term.

Complex numbers, Taylor/Maclaurin Series, 1st order and 2nd order differentials, Integration by parts and Vectors.

It's pretty much all Further Maths stuff.

However you're doing Maths and Physics and I think they get a different deal since they always seem to miss Mathematics I Lectures....
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not much overlap. Some complex number stuff might come up in applied, and maybe some basic algebra but most of it is new. Just new and different. Maths you do at school is all applied maths, even the pure modules. In uni, maths is proper pure maths and you have to prove everything from first principles. It's more philosophical than practical.

Source: I spent a year at oxford doing maths before dropping out! (uni maths wasnt what i was expecting!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of York
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sun, 30 Jun '19
  • University of York
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

How has 2019 been so far?