Do I cite a book or paper if I've read something then drawn my own conclusion of what Watch

se7en983
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I’m not sure if I am asking this question in the right place but I just need a quick answer to a simple question. I have done my googleing but still can’t seem to find a clear answer. Can you help?

The question:

Do I cite a book or paper if I've read something then drawn my own conclusion of what the author is trying to say?

I'm not talking about paraphrasing, or maybe I am?

I mean, when you read an idea or concept and then form your own analogies about what the author is saying and you put it into your own words etc.
Do I need to show how I came up with this idea or what material led me to this realisation?

Also the information is not new information if this is relevant?

I’ve never really had to do any real citing before and I thought I was comfortable with it until about ten minutes ago, when I realised that I just cross-referenced 5 books/articles explaining the same topic and then came to my own conclusion and thought, well how do I show that I have read these books etc and draw my own conclusion?

LannaBanana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If in doubt, stick it in the bibliography. If there's nothing PARTICULAR to cite (i.e. an idea or quote) then you don't need to cite it, but you should add it to your biblio at the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.66%
The paper was reasonable (389)
46.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (156)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (107)
12.69%

Watched Threads