Having second thoughts on chosen degree - help please Watch

Saraah17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I'm not 100% sure on the degree I've chosen to do.
I've applied to do Optometry and have got offers from 3 of my choices.
But I'm not too sure if I want a career in this, I feel like I've only chosen to do it as there's a job at the end of it.
My passion has always been to study English Lit - it's my favourite A Level and I'm good at it.
Does it ever go into clearing at russell groups/ other good unis?
I'm not confident enough to reject all my offers just yet and go into Extra.
Any help will be appreciated :-)
TheSK00T3R
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm having the same problem, with a bloody Cambridge interview waiting for me as well.
You could take a gap year. It'll feel sucky to be left behind a year while all your mates are off to uni, but it may be well worth it.
Of course, doing optometry, you'll only ever be an optometrist, whereas doing English Lit, you can do anything.
What you don't want is to be two years into your degree and regretting it. That happens alot to Medics, and alot of them are in it for the job security, or they think they're clever and that's the best thing to do with their intelligence. Evidently bad motives.
On the other hand, there may be some English Lit graduates out there who will tell you to stick with what your doing; at least you'll have a job at the end. I disagree; I'd rather be unemployed and a free man open to whatever opportunities come my way than having to do something I hate, but hey, I've not tried it yet, so who knows.
As for clearing, I heard someone got a place in Law at Manchester, and wannabe medics can get places, so I'm sure there'll be Lit places at redbrick uni's up for grabs on clearance day.
If your having doubts now, think about your real motives for applying to optometry, and how they'd compare to applying for what you genuinely have a passion for.
Extra doesn't open till Feb as far as I know, so you still have plenty of time to think.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saraah17)
But I'm not too sure if I want a career in this, I feel like I've only chosen to do it as there's a job at the end of it.
My passion has always been to study English Lit - it's my favourite A Level and I'm good at it.
According to my old copy of clearing lists in the Telegraph, 'decent' universities in clearing for pure English Literature this year were...

Leeds, Reading & Surrey.

Other similar courses were also in clearing such as English & American Lit and Creative Writing at Kent, or English & Creative Writing at Lancaster or Keele.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you don't want to do optometry, then don't do optometry. There's no point getting there and finding that you don't like it. It's a very expensive form of misery.

I'd suggest that you
1. decline all your offers (though you can wait for a few months if you feel uncertain).
2. Research which unis you would like to go to for English Lit.
3. Plan on taking a gap year - get a job as soon as possible after you finish your A Level exams and work all the hours under the sun, whilst thinking about what you want to do travel-wise.
4. Then, on results day, take the day off. Collect your A Level results and see how you did.
5. See what's in Clearing. Eng Lit is a competitive subject, and it's far from guaranteed that decent unis will be in Clearing for Eng Lit, but stranger things have happened in the last couple of years.
6. If there are decent unis in Clearing that you've previously identified (2) as being desirable, then apply for those. Having done the research in advance will both give you a headstart, and help you to avoid having your judgement clouded by the mad rush that is Clearing.
7. If nothing suitable is in Clearing, then continue with your gap year plans, and start thinking about booking flights and whatnot.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
If you don't want to do optometry, then don't do optometry. There's no point getting there and finding that you don't like it. It's a very expensive form of misery.

I'd suggest that you
1. decline all your offers (though you can wait for a few months if you feel uncertain).
2. Research which unis you would like to go to for English Lit.
3. Plan on taking a gap year - get a job as soon as possible after you finish your A Level exams and work all the hours under the sun, whilst thinking about what you want to do travel-wise.
4. Then, on results day, take the day off. Collect your A Level results and see how you did.
5. See what's in Clearing. Eng Lit is a competitive subject, and it's far from guaranteed that decent unis will be in Clearing for Eng Lit, but stranger things have happened in the last couple of years.
6. If there are decent unis in Clearing that you've previously identified (2) as being desirable, then apply for those. Having done the research in advance will both give you a headstart, and help you to avoid having your judgement clouded by the mad rush that is Clearing.
7. If nothing suitable is in Clearing, then continue with your gap year plans, and start thinking about booking flights and whatnot.
Sound advice but with one thing missing.

Once the OP declines offers, she will be eligible for Extra and can apply for English courses in Extra and there probably will be some decent courses in Extra.

Obviously this will only be viable if a university lets the OP put in a separate PS for English but they are likely to do so if she explains that she received offers for optometry and has declined them because she realised that she ought to go with her real passion, English, rather than chase a career she did not want to be in.
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In hindsight I would choose job over passion any day
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
In hindsight I would choose job over passion any day
If you do, you can easily end up in this situation.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2520128
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
If you do, you can easily end up in this situation.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2520128
Yeah I read that, seems silly to be honest. Career wise English Lit is a very narrow window. I would grit my teeth and get on with it, at least I'll have something I can fall back on guaranteed.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 2ndClass)
Yeah I read that, seems silly to be honest. Career wise English Lit is a very narrow window. I would grit my teeth and get on with it, at least I'll have something I can fall back on guaranteed.
Life is rarely that simple.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saraah17)
Courses may come up in clearing, but don't base any speculation about this on last year, as last year there was an unusually high number of courses in clearing. Clearing is not a nice process to go through for a couple of reasons. You might miss out on getting an offer you want altogether- places can go fast. Also, you are often asked to make a decision about accepting a place in 24 hours or sometimes less. If you are feeling unsure about your options, this might lead to you accepting something unsuitable. Accomadation can also be an issue for clearing students, and you may not get a place in halls. Generally, clearing is quite stressful, and not something to go into as a first choice plan.

I think it would be better to go through UCAS extra. Why don't you feel confident enough to do this? Are you worried you won't get a place, or that you will commit to something you're unsure of?

If you aren't keen on doing that, it might be better to reapply next year. This means you can take a bit more time thinking about where you might want to apply, and write a new application tailored to English. You'll also know your results, so you can get unconditional offers, and it's generally a less stressful process.
goonermk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheSK00T3R)
I'm having the same problem, with a bloody Cambridge interview waiting for me as well.
You could take a gap year. It'll feel sucky to be left behind a year while all your mates are off to uni, but it may be well worth it.
Of course, doing optometry, you'll only ever be an optometrist, whereas doing English Lit, you can do anything.
What you don't want is to be two years into your degree and regretting it. That happens alot to Medics, and alot of them are in it for the job security, or they think they're clever and that's the best thing to do with their intelligence. Evidently bad motives.
On the other hand, there may be some English Lit graduates out there who will tell you to stick with what your doing; at least you'll have a job at the end. I disagree; I'd rather be unemployed and a free man open to whatever opportunities come my way than having to do something I hate, but hey, I've not tried it yet, so who knows.
As for clearing, I heard someone got a place in Law at Manchester, and wannabe medics can get places, so I'm sure there'll be Lit places at redbrick uni's up for grabs on clearance day.
If your having doubts now, think about your real motives for applying to optometry, and how they'd compare to applying for what you genuinely have a passion for.
Extra doesn't open till Feb as far as I know, so you still have plenty of time to think.
I'd be truly surprised if Manchester Law was in clearing.

Criminology goes through clearing and it is categorised as 'law' despite not actually being a law degree.
Saraah17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for the advice guys!
I think it all depends on how I'm feeling on results day e.g. if I got an A* in Eng Lit then I will definitely do it - I think my parents are holding me back slightly too because they think Optometry is the safer option purely for the fact there's a guaranteed job at the end of it. I'm considering a gap year over clearing though just to avoid the stress haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (423)
30.28%
The paper was reasonable (551)
39.44%
Not feeling great about that exam... (239)
17.11%
It was TERRIBLE (184)
13.17%

Watched Threads