Is it morally wrong to go on holiday with 2 billion people under the poverty line? Watch

obrown303
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
People don't seem to generally consider this as we live in such a selfish, narcissistic society but is it morally wrong to spend your money on luxury goods and holidays when so many people are struggling for food? Of course, this is a cliche but that doesn't mean it should be ignored. Shouldn't we be spending time protesting, volunteering, giving to charity and generally helping others instead of giving ourselves a break or a treat because we "deserve" it? And not just out of societal pressure to do the 'right' thing but to help people in worse-off situations who need education, jobs and a general livelihood?
FlavaFavourFruit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:lolz:
Ben_K
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well that depends on your own personal morals and your own personal opinion of capitalism.
audi_turbo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well not having any luxuries would equate to not living beyond your means in any way. There are other luxuries beyond the obvious holidays. Food and shelter, for example. Using your argument we would have to go as far as selling our houses and living in tents and eating only the bare minimum in order to donate any money used for luxuries to charity. Perhaps not answering your question but nonetheless it's not morally wrong, no.
Nitrogen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:sucks:
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You wouldn't be doing the poor any favours by pretending to empathise with them. Do something real to fight poverty; fight for democracy and freedom in poor countries.
DScofield
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope.
Tridentus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're so worried about this, you should actually go on holiday to a poorer country and spend as much money as possible.. help out the tourist economy.
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm sure the people who are below the poverty line would prefer it if I actually used my money to good effort as opposed to not using it and whining about our immoral society.
ckingalt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If I didn't go on holidays those people wouldn't have anyone to sell their stupid trinkets and chiclets to.
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely you can make that argument about any indulgence you let yourself have?

I don't think you'd become any happier because of it though.
obrown303
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by audi_turbo)
Well not having any luxuries would equate to not living beyond your means in any way. There are other luxuries beyond the obvious holidays. Food and shelter, for example. Using your argument we would have to go as far as selling our houses and living in tents and eating only the bare minimum in order to donate any money used for luxuries to charity. Perhaps not answering your question but nonetheless it's not morally wrong, no.
I didn't mean to that extent... I only used a strong viewpoint to see if it received balance responses but clearly many people believe that the wealth gap just isn't our problem.
Donald Duck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckingalt)
If I didn't go on holidays those people wouldn't have anyone to sell their stupid trinkets and chiclets to.
You don't sound like you buy any of them...
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Partly it's about how you behave in poorer countries and in particular with poor people. I always think it's a bit sickening to see people from well off western countries, Britain included, haggling with some poor devil who drives a rickshaw or runs a little shop in developing countries to get the 'fair or local price' when to us its all small change, but to them, can mean feeding their families properly.

Basically some tourists should go on a reality check course before they are allowed in to some countries.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, but then again, I have no morals.

When my parents go on holiday to our home country they make my siblings and I use our hand luggage for our own stuff and they fill all the main luggage with food, basic essentials and all our old clothes to give to the poor relatives we have over there.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by obrown303)
People don't seem to generally consider this as we live in such a selfish, narcissistic society but is it morally wrong to spend your money on luxury goods and holidays when so many people are struggling for food? Of course, this is a cliche but that doesn't mean it should be ignored. Shouldn't we be spending time protesting, volunteering, giving to charity and generally helping others instead of giving ourselves a break or a treat because we "deserve" it? And not just out of societal pressure to do the 'right' thing but to help people in worse-off situations who need education, jobs and a general livelihood?
Yes, it is morally wrong. No, we don't care. Yes, we are horrible. No, we don't care.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by audi_turbo)
Nonsense. You would still live in a house but it would not have anything more than you need. But yes, you would only have the minimum you need in order to feed your body nutrients. And no, I don't think anyone will consider this idea. Yes, we are selfish. And no, we don't care.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
You wouldn't be doing the poor any favours by pretending to empathise with them. Do something real to fight poverty; fight for democracy and freedom in poor countries.
Sounds like bull****.
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's morally wrong to be alive if you think deeply about it.
felamaslen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Sounds like bull****.
Freedom sounds like bull****? Legitimate government sounds like bull****? You sound like bull****.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.17%
The paper was reasonable (395)
42.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.16%
It was TERRIBLE (150)
16.15%

Watched Threads