Is it morally wrong to go on holiday with 2 billion people under the poverty line? Watch

Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by felamaslen)
Freedom sounds like bull****? Legitimate government sounds like bull****? You sound like bull****.
Nope. I said fighting for freedom in a poor country is bull****. Just like Gates' idea of giving poor starving kids laptops. Bull****.
mynameisntbobk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it morally wrong to eat 3 meals a day, which people below the poverty line can't afford?
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Nope. I said fighting for freedom in a poor country is bull****. Just like Gates' idea of giving poor starving kids laptops. Bull****.
The lack of freedom is what keeps them poor though, don't you see? Why else would there be such an extremely strong correlation between free countries and rich ones?
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, then we should all stop breathing, because that's selfish to steal the oxygen...
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe you should not be on here or on the internet since people in poverty don't have access to it...
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The lack of freedom is what keeps them poor though, don't you see? Why else would there be such an extremely strong correlation between free countries and rich ones?
Really? Anyway, a starving brain is not really capable of much reasoning. They will go for any short term solution to their hunger. It might be the case that they choose to palliate their hunger over getting "freedom".
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No poverty isn't your fault and it's your money to spend. By all means donate to charity if it makes you feel better, just don't tell me what the morally right thing to do is.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bubble999)
Okay, then we should all stop breathing, because that's selfish to steal the oxygen...
That does not follow. The only compromise would be to have enough to cover your necessities. (food, shelter, etc). overall we are selfish and I would love to see an argument against that if you have one. :]
ckingalt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Partly it's about how you behave in poorer countries and in particular with poor people. I always think it's a bit sickening to see people from well off western countries, Britain included, haggling with some poor devil who drives a rickshaw or runs a little shop in developing countries to get the 'fair or local price' when to us its all small change, but to them, can mean feeding their families properly.

Basically some tourists should go on a reality check course before they are allowed in to some countries.
I disagree. It is expected custom in many of these places to haggle. They mark the price up accordingly, sometimes as much as 500%. Haggling with them is honoring their custom, not ours. If the money is De minimis, then I will haggle for a dollar and tip the vendor two for their trouble. As a tourist, I don't like to behave like a sucker. I'm way to travel savvy for that.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really? Anyway, a starving brain is not really capable of much reasoning. They will go for any short term solution to their hunger. It might be the case that they choose to palliate their hunger over getting "freedom".
Thing is, no matter how many short term solutions are given, they will always be working against the grain of the actual problem, which is that poor countries do not have sufficient economic and political freedom to create a just, free, honest and prosperous society.
techno-thriller
Report 5 years ago
I don't think so
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope.
**** 'em.
ninuzu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why? Spending YOUR money on tourism boosts the economy of where you go on holiday and provides jobs too. Tourism is a massive source of employment in many poorer countries.
iano101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Holidays increase tourism, benefiting the locals of that place/the country so it helps them as well as being fun for you. Best of both worlds, so morally I do not think it is wrong. There will always be disparity in this world
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thing is, no matter how many short term solutions are given, they will always be working against the grain of the actual problem, which is that poor countries do not have sufficient economic and political freedom to create a just, free, honest and prosperous society.
I think starving people don't really care about politics.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP, if you really want to help the poor then go on holiday to Africa and support employment there.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think starving people don't really care about politics.
That's as may be, but it doesn't mean politics doesn't affect them. By the way, I prefer to call maniacal oppression what it is. "Politics" is too polite.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It isn't morally wrong to go on holidays, it is your hard earned money and therefore it is for you to spend as you see fit. The way I see it, I pay taxes to UK, Sweden and Norway, these 3 countries have huge foreign aid budgets to which I've paid towards, this means I've effectively done my fair share in alleviating the causes of people who require aid.

For the record I go on 4 holidays per year and I darn well deserve every single one of it

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Partly it's about how you behave in poorer countries and in particular with poor people. I always think it's a bit sickening to see people from well off western countries, Britain included, haggling with some poor devil who drives a rickshaw or runs a little shop in developing countries to get the 'fair or local price' when to us its all small change, but to them, can mean feeding their families properly.

Basically some tourists should go on a reality check course before they are allowed in to some countries.
You haven't been out much have you? Vast majority of poorer countries has a "foreigner price" and a local price, you can be sure that the prices quoted to you as a foreigner will be significantly higher, many times up to 10x more. This goes from everything including bottled water, taxi fares and most definitely souvenirs. In fact that rickshaw or most likely taxi driver wouldn't be using the meter instead would tell you it is broken or probably rigged to move faster, if it isn't then probably you would be brought using the longest route.... the latter happens in many developed countries too

Therefore no... I'm bargaining to get the best deal so I could spend more time at the spa
placenta medicae talpae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is morally wrong to go on holiday with 2 billion people.

The financial situation of the people you take is almost irrelevant :yes:
Olie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ckingalt)
If I didn't go on holidays those people wouldn't have anyone to sell their stupid trinkets and chiclets to.
Well yeah, you have a point, if it wasn't western tourists, a lot of these poorer countries would even poorer than they are now without a tourism industry and I wonder what the hell the scam artists and street sellers of Morocco for example would do if it wasn't for the streams of rich western tourists to buy their tat.

And in response to the OP, while of course it would be extremely admirable to donate all your hard earnings to charity and good causes, people shouldn't feel any moral obligation to do that, its their money that they've worked hard for, so its up to them what they do with it and surely they deserve to treat themselves if they want to with a holiday, instead of doing non stop work. Sure its a crime that so many people on this planet in the 21st Century are living in poverty, but the answer to the question has to be no, its not morally wrong to spend your hard earned money on yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.19%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (144)
7.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed