University Degree? Am i suited to this career? Watch

studier1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi. I'm currently studying my AS courses which are: Economics, Biology, English and Chemistry. Hopefully I will get 4A's at AS and, in the order above, between AAAA and A*A*AA at A-Level. At GCSE I achieved 5A*'s, 3A's, 2B's

I originally wanted to study Economics and Management at Oxford to enter a career in Investment Banking in London; however it required A-Level Maths (I got a B at GCSE). Are there any Economics related degrees at the top Uni's that may accept me without Maths? If not what else could I study for a career in investment banking?

I realise its not totally related but I had some work experience at Allen and Overy in London for a week. So what do you recommend I do for Uni, and what would my chances be for a career in Investment Banking?
Thanks for any replies
frederic743
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I haven't specifically checked their website regarding entry requirements but you can always try Warwick which seems to be one of the most targeted uni's for investment banks. If not you can try UCL, LSE and Imperial which are also heavily targeted.
a443s
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by studier1)
Hi. I'm currently studying my AS courses which are: Economics, Biology, English and Chemistry. Hopefully I will get 4A's at AS and, in the order above, between AAAA and A*A*AA at A-Level. At GCSE I achieved 5A*'s, 3A's, 2B's

I originally wanted to study Economics and Management at Oxford to enter a career in Investment Banking in London; however it required A-Level Maths (I got a B at GCSE). Are there any Economics related degrees at the top Uni's that may accept me without Maths? If not what else could I study for a career in investment banking?

I realise its not totally related but I had some work experience at Allen and Overy in London for a week. So what do you recommend I do for Uni, and what would my chances be for a career in Investment Banking?
Thanks for any replies
I don't see how getting a B at GCSE prevents you from doing maths at A-level? I would strongly recommend you do maths, especially if you want to do an economics-related degree. If someone told me they required a qualification that I was not doing, I would go out and do it rather than settling for a second-best option. It seems unusual that you are not doing this.
gonewandering
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
  • I agree with A443S -There is no reason to you should not take maths.
    If you are willing to put some hard work and effort in (and if you're not, you are looking at the wrong universities and careers!!) there is no reason why you could not study Maths and get the highest marks in it.
    Have you considered self study? You learn at home (through the revision and text books etc.) and sit the exams with a school or college as an external candidate.
    In my experience Universities value self educated students more than the traditional school educated, as it demonstrates the independent learning and research skills required for university study. So it could be a route that would offer you the A-level you need for your original course, and a USP and some extra experience to get you a place at university.

I was completely independently self educated at A-Level. It suited my learning style and I found it quicker and easier than traditional school based learning - so I did 4 full A-levels in under a year.
    So if you want any further info or anything - feel free to message me.
a443s
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gonewandering)
  • I agree with A443S -There is no reason to you should not take maths.
    If you are willing to put some hard work and effort in (and if you're not, you are looking at the wrong universities and careers!!) there is no reason why you could not study Maths and get the highest marks in it.
    Have you considered self study? You learn at home (through the revision and text books etc.) and sit the exams with a school or college as an external candidate.
    In my experience Universities value self educated students more than the traditional school educated, as it demonstrates the independent learning and research skills required for university study. So it could be a route that would offer you the A-level you need for your original course, and a USP and some extra experience to get you a place at university.

I was completely independently self educated at A-Level. It suited my learning style and I found it quicker and easier than traditional school based learning - so I did 4 full A-levels in under a year.
    So if you want any further info or anything - feel free to message me.

I did exactly the same thing. I taught myself at A-level, and eventually went to Cambridge to study economics.

However I wouldn't knock the value of going to a good school (which I did not). I think this makes more of a difference at university level than any other, contrary to what some people some may say. I don't think it was any coincidence that the people at the top of my year in Cambridge happened to go to some of the best private schools. Also, don't think just because 50% of Cambridge students went to private school, that it means the other 50% went to state schools - not true. The other 50% comprises of about 40% international students (often privately educated), and the rest from various non-traditional backgrounds (such as state schools). Out of my entire class of about 200 students, I only knew of 2 people who went to a state school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
42.86%
The paper was reasonable (0)
0%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
14.29%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
42.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise