The effect of only selecting one choice on UCAS. Watch

drhowick1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
After spending hours of sifting through the various courses offered by many differing universities, I have only managed to find one degree programme which I would like to be accepted on to.

See previous thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post45236381

Is having one choice to my advantage. I.e. Will it increase my chances of acceptance?

Or am I better off selecting another four options which I am far less enthusiastic about...

Varying opinions very welcome!

Thank you for reading
Stanners95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by drhowick1)
After spending hours of sifting through the various courses offered by many differing universities, I have only managed to find one degree programme which I would like to be accepted on to.

See previous thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post45236381

Is having one choice to my advantage. I.e. Will it increase my chances of acceptance?

Or am I better off selecting another four options which I am far less enthusiastic about...

Varying opinions very welcome!

Thank you for reading
As universities don't see if you've applied anywhere else, or even at all... so it has no impact on your chances, for the one course you've applied to, whatsoever.
staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can universities see if they are the only one you applied to? I didn't think they could, if they could maybe they would put a little more consideration into your application but even then it wouldn't guarantee you a place or work in your favour. The university could reject you, so you really should have 5 choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
drhowick1
Rep:
?
If the Universities cannot see my choices then that is great.

The question popped into my head because a friend of mine was talking about how he had "only selected one option, therefore they had to accept him".

If that isn't the case then I will simply have to keep looking for other suitable options!

Thanks for the help
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're solely interested in one course, then you need to ask yourself what you would do and how you would feel, if you *only* had an offer for a course that you didn't really want to study. Are you just going to uni to get a degree - any degree? Or do you want only want the degree which you originally found?

Many people find themselves on degree courses which weren't their first choice, so that much is a common situation. However, your decision about adding other uni applications boils down to whether you could tolerate studying the subject for three years. Would you be motivated enough to see it through?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a high risk, low reward strategy. What would you do if you were rejected - how would you feel about taking a gap year, and not necessarily doing this course after that?
drhowick1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
If you're solely interested in one course, then you need to ask yourself what you would do and how you would feel, if you *only* had an offer for a course that you didn't really want to study. Are you just going to uni to get a degree - any degree? Or do you want only want the degree which you originally found?

Many people find themselves on degree courses which weren't their first choice, so that much is a common situation. However, your decision about adding other uni applications boils down to whether you could tolerate studying the subject for three years. Would you be motivated enough to see it through?
Some excellent thoughts which I will certainly keep in consideration.

The course I would like to be accepted onto has an initial year of studying Social Sciences at a foundation level. Following on from this, the degree will be focussed towards Business Management and Economics.

My interest is genuinely sincere, yet there doesn't seem to be that many institutions (other than those which are very poorly ranked) which are offering anything similar. It seems that with a lot of them, the foundation year courses are being aimed at International students.

In all honesty I have only been looking at different options during the last two weeks or so - hopefully I will find something very similar at another University.

We shall see! Thank you very much everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads