Turn on thread page Beta

When people say that they don't like fat and ugly people, how 'fugly' are we talking? watch

ReputationRep:
    (When I say "like" I mean the romantic/sexual attraction thing, not "like" as a person... although that is also an interesting question)

Over the last few years or so I've repeatedly heard people say that they'd never be seen with X or Y or Z because "he's so WEIRD", "mate, she's just too f-cking fat" or "2/10 would not bang", etc, etc.

I'm massively paranoid as a result because on the one hand people are like "but personality matters so much more than having abs!", "men like Real Women™ with curves so don't worry about being a toned size 8", blah blah, but then on the other hand it seems that all everyone's interested in is a) getting laid and b) impressing their friends by having a "fit" boyfriend/girlfriend.

Is this just the people that I hang around with, or is everyone actually kind of shallow when it comes to relationship stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Bump?

ReputationRep:
    Are you "FUGLY"?

We are taking fugly fugly.

ReputationRep:
    On the serious note, it's the fault of the Media and our stupid mind sets which have led to us bring attracted to hot, lean and good looking people. This is just pathetic, one must never ever judge somebody by the way they look...can't we realise how beautiful a person with natural looks and a great nature is? What will artificially toning oneself do? Under the mask there might be the ugliest limpet you will ever lay your eyes on.

Such idiots should be given a good teaching and the common media should be kicked in the gut for showing sultry, hot people and ignoring the general public and the reality of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellcat12)
    Are you "FUGLY"?
    No, but now that I think about it, I'm having trouble thinking up of a single guy or girl who hasn't been slated by the opposite gender at some point, and so I'm being hit by a wave of paranoia and self-doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    No, but now that I think about it, I'm having trouble thinking up of a single guy or girl who hasn't been slated by the opposite gender at some point, and so I'm being hit by a wave of paranoia and self-doubt.
    Also depends on what kind of looks attract the other person.
    don't let it worry you.
    i am called names from beautiful to ugly to "would not bang" (as if I asked for it :rolleyes:)
    l don't give an inch of a thought to what people think about my looks.
    i am what I am and that's final for everyone and me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    (When I say "like" I mean the romantic/sexual attraction thing, not "like" as a person... although that is also an interesting question)

Over the last few years or so I've repeatedly heard people say that they'd never be seen with X or Y or Z because "he's so WEIRD", "mate, she's just too f-cking fat" or "2/10 would not bang", etc, etc.

I'm massively paranoid as a result because on the one hand people are like "but personality matters so much more than having abs!", "men like Real Women™ with curves so don't worry about being a toned size 8", blah blah, but then on the other hand it seems that all everyone's interested in is a) getting laid and b) impressing their friends by having a "fit" boyfriend/girlfriend.

Is this just the people that I hang around with, or is everyone actually kind of shallow when it comes to relationship stuff?
    People are shallow and also are two-faced liars.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Personality hardly means anything, so long as you have average personality.
    Looks is primary because we are visual creatures, this goes for both men and women.

Its a trait of Humanity.

To OP: I don't know I would have to see a pic then I would know instantly

ReputationRep:
    On the serious note, it's the fault of the Media and our stupid mind sets which have led to us bring attracted to hot, lean and good looking people. This is just pathetic, one must never ever judge somebody by the way they look...can't we realise how beautiful a person with natural looks and a great nature is? What will artificially toning oneself do? Under the mask there might be the ugliest limpet you will ever lay your eyes on.

Such idiots should be given a good teaching and the common media should be kicked in the gut for showing sultry, hot people and ignoring the general public and the reality of life.

Omg, being attracted to attractive people never happened before tv :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If you're unhappy about your appearance, work on it, but for yourself. Not to conform to the way anyone else looks. For example, a lot of guys I know prefer the curvy Kim Kardashian types who go around in loads of makeup and heels, but personally I prefer staying athletic and slim and dressing more practically and looking natural, so that's what I do.

PM me if you need fashion/beauty/fitness tips or want advice on finding your own style, I am too keen on that kind of stuff :love:

ReputationRep:
    On the serious note, it's the fault of the Media and our stupid mind sets which have led to us bring attracted to hot, lean and good looking people.
    Nonsense. We're animals, it's our instinct. We're attracted to people who look like we could have healthy offspring with
    them and who could protect that offspring. Every single trait considered attractive today can be traced back to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Looks is primary because we are visual creatures, this goes for both men and women.

Its a trait of Humanity.

Completely agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)

Its a trait of Humanity.

None of the guys I've been interested in have had "average" personalities - they've always been a bit out there. Personality is very important to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Nonsense. We're animals, it's our instinct. We're attracted to people who look like we could have healthy offspring with
    them and who could protect that offspring. Every single trait considered attractive today can be traced back to that.
    What, even thigh gaps and fake tans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    None of the guys I've been interested in have had "average" personalities - they've always been a bit out there. Personality is very important to me.
    Same here. I'd rather have someone with an amazing personality who was in reasonable shape and cute-ish than some supposed "stunner" with an average personality.

Perhaps this is just my personal standards, but physically attractive people seem a dime a dozen in either gender. I think personality is more important.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah, it's the people you hang around with.

I truly am a personality person. I am a size 10/12 myself, but my last partner weighed the top end of 20st. I used to call him 'fugly' as a term of endearment He was still gorgeous to me though, he made me laugh, he was smart, all the stuff you look for in a personality.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You could have the best looking bloke ever and he wouldn't be attractive if he was stupid. I've had crushes on big blokes, slim blokes, tall blokes, shorter blokes (though never shorter than me), it doesn't matter in the end. And I have never dated anyone for the approval of my friends... I didn't know that was something people did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha brah)
    Same here. I'd rather have someone with an amazing personality who was in reasonable shape and cute-ish than some supposed "stunner" with an average personality.

Perhaps this is just my personal standards, but physically attractive people seem a dime a dozen in either gender. I think personality is more important.
    Yeah, I mean if a guy wants a 7/10 or above girl, he can just go to a nightclub in central London and there'll be hundreds of them. But finding someone with an awesome personality that is compatible with your own is very hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Катя)
    What, even thigh gaps and fake tans?
    Of course.

Thigh gaps suggest lots of exercise and good diet, which came in handy when a woman needed to run from from a raging mammoth with your child on her arm. A tan (fake or real) suggests plenty of exposure to sunlight which is important for good physical and mental health and therefore definitely something you'd want in a potential mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Of course.

Thigh gaps suggest lots of exercise and good diet, which came in handy when a woman needed to run from from a raging mammoth with your child on her arm. A tan (fake or real) suggests plenty of exposure to sunlight which is important for good physical and mental health and therefore definitely something you'd want in a potential mate.
    Interesting, given that a) no Olympic female athlete has a thigh gap and b) they only came into fashion when Twiggy appeared on the market.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.