Future messed up? Watch

itstcm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, so basically, last year (year 10), my English teacher was off for 5 months and we are now 5 months behind on the course. Our teacher this year is constantly making is rewrite controlled assessments (and is cheating on them but my complain to the Headteacher was brushed off, seen as his only concern is the school's league tables). I complained that we're wasting too much time on our language course, and need to start literature. For a set 2 class, we are averaging at A/B marks which is what we're targeted but our teacher isn't happy.

I've been set on journalism for years now, but I'm not in the position where I'm going to get decent marks for English and I don't know what to do. I've offered to come back after school, weekends, holidays, even though I shouldn't have to - but the teachers are just thinking I'm nagging and don't realise how concerned I am for my future.

I'm trying to think of alternatives for Journalism, or getting into journalism without the best of English grades and I'm really not sure what to do!
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Focus on getting what you need to study it at A-Level at the college or sixth form you're interested in. Unis are going to be more concerned for that than your GCSE grade, for obvious reasons.

However, maybe look into getting a tutor outside of school if you're that concerned, and do extra work on your own too to get ahead. Maybe get your parents to file a complaint.

Posted from TSR Mobile
itstcm
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Paralove)
Focus on getting what you need to study it at A-Level at the college or sixth form you're interested in. Unis are going to be more concerned for that than your GCSE grade, for obvious reasons.

However, maybe look into getting a tutor outside of school if you're that concerned, and do extra work on your own too to get ahead. Maybe get your parents to file a complaint.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only reason I'm worried about my GCSEs is not being able to do certain A-Level courses, then Uni etc.

I've been thinking of getting a tutor, but I'm not even sure if my class will be doing a literature course yet.

And, my dad did complain, but it was brushed off, as I said, they only care about the school's league tables. They'd rather us get an A in language and nothing in literature incase we all fail.
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by itstcm)
The only reason I'm worried about my GCSEs is not being able to do certain A-Level courses, then Uni etc.

I've been thinking of getting a tutor, but I'm not even sure if my class will be doing a literature course yet.

And, my dad did complain, but it was brushed off, as I said, they only care about the school's league tables. They'd rather us get an A in language and nothing in literature incase we all fail.
A lot of schools make literature an option and isn't compulsory, though mine did make it so.

Well look at everywhere you could possibly go to do the A-Levels you want and then see the requirements to he on the course. If you don't need literature don't worry about it so much.

If your class is failing anyway its probably worth getting a Lang tutor.

And go to maybe the ELA or your local MP - any higher authority than your head teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by itstcm)

Did he complain in writing? If not, do so. At the very least you can use it as evidence if your sixth form asks you awkward questions, and for the headteacher a letter is harder to ignore generally. If you can find anyone else to complain to do so as well.

Hopefully someone will eventually listen, although the issue might not be sorted for ages anyway so you may want to look at what other solutions you have, e.g. home study. Perhaps speak to someone in the admissions office for whichever college(s) you're hoping to apply to and see if they can give you any advice as well.
Tom_green_day
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really can't see what the problem is here?
Language is the one that's best for journalism, Literature is for more high-brow stuff, and if you get a C in any subject it means you can take it for A level.
Schools only care about their rankings its true, sadly.
georgie_wbu
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be honest, as long as you get your 5 A-C grades you can get into 6th form/college and you'll be fine. I see where you're coming from with regards to getting good grades in English - for some courses you do need a B or above (like Psychology and obviously, English). If you don't think you can get that then you might be better off getting a tutor or something. Realistically though, it's only universities like Oxford and Cambridge who really take GCSEs into account, and although English is a good subject to study at A Level it's often not compulsory for most courses.
If you're really looking ahead, you could possibly look into different Journalism courses and see if there are any specific requirements (for example, an B in English at A Level) which might put your mind at rest slightly! I'm a Journalism applicant myself and from the courses I've looked at, none of them specifically ask for an English A Level. Some may ask you to do additional writing pieces for them if you don't take English but if you're good at it (which I'm assuming you are) you should be fine!
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads