Speed limit Watch

Aimless
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

Quick question - how much leeway do you have with the speed limit in your test (on a clear, relatively traffic free road). My instructor always wants me to go pretty much on the speed limit on clearish roads but occasionally I go a little over (say 34) or a fair bit under (say 25). I know in the test speed does seem to be something they screw you over on, go to slow they say it's dangerously slow and go to fast and your speeding. I was wondering what sort of range should I be looking to keep within both underneath and over the speed limit.

Cheers.
Jjj90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apparently 10%. But in the car i'm learning in the person in the passenger seat can't actually see the dial. Just do your best to stay on the limit, I've got my test on monday, so today I focused like a... focused fellow... and it wasn't too hard to stay right
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aimless)
Hi,

Quick question - how much leeway do you have with the speed limit in your test (on a clear, relatively traffic free road). My instructor always wants me to go pretty much on the speed limit on clearish roads but occasionally I go a little over (say 34) or a fair bit under (say 25). I know in the test speed does seem to be something they screw you over on, go to slow they say it's dangerously slow and go to fast and your speeding. I was wondering what sort of range should I be looking to keep within both underneath and over the speed limit.

Cheers.
Why not just do 30? You shouldn't be deviating much from the speed limit anyway, assuming it is a clear road and it is safe to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wr0nsk1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the US (at least in Texas) you fail automatically if you go over the speed limit whatsoever. IDK if it's the same elsewhere, but if I were you I would try to stay under the speed limit, but only slightly. For example, in a 30, I would try to be between 25 and 30.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My instructor is the worst about this. I drive according to what is going on around me. If the road is clear I think I should be able to drive a bit faster than 30. Once I did 37 in a 30 zone and was asked to pull over and listen to his lecture for 5 minutes :mad: Obviously in the test I want to pass so will have to watch the speed, but in a lesson I'm paying for, it's not on that he says I am "constantly speeding".
rainbowbex
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Aim 28 I guess, if you creep up a few you'll still be okay. but for the love of God do not drive 25 unless you want the other road users to kill you.

Driving the speed-limit is something that takes experience, and it can be difficult to start with. Just keep checking your speed and continually correcting it. Too fast, ease off the pedal, too slow ease on the pedal.. and pay attention to the terrain.
addylad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
My instructor is the worst about this. I drive according to what is going on around me. If the road is clear I think I should be able to drive a bit faster than 30. Once I did 37 in a 30 zone and was asked to pull over and listen to his lecture for 5 minutes :mad: Obviously in the test I want to pass so will have to watch the speed, but in a lesson I'm paying for, it's not on that he says I am "constantly speeding".
But you are speeding. You're paying for the lesson, but you don't have a proper license, and it's not your car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by addylad)
But you are speeding. You're paying for the lesson, but you don't have a proper license, and it's not your car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's called having fun and it hasn't harmed anyone!

He's so annoying that he is only worried about getting in trouble with a fine or whatever. If it's such a big deal I'd pay the fine. It won't change my attitude though (EDIT)
rainbowbex
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Are you serious? The speed limit is there for a reason.. If you hit someone breaking the speedlimit and they die (more likely if you're going faster) you can be done for manslaughter and if you get caught otherwise you'll lose your license.. For a good few years. Jesus. 34 in a 30 and you could lose your license.

Plus you're a learner, stop being an arrogant prick about what you think is okay before you really do kill somebody.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rainbowbex)
Are you serious? The speed limit is there for a reason.. If you hit someone breaking the speedlimit and they die (more likely if you're going faster) you can be done for manslaughter and if you get caught otherwise you'll lose your license.. For a good few years. Jesus. 34 in a 30 and you could lose your license.

Plus you're a learner, stop being an arrogant prick about what you think is okay before you really do kill somebody.
I said I drive according to what's going on around me. It's acceptable for me to increase my speed if there's a clear road. I'm sensible and would never put the car or another person in danger.

Don't go outside anymore, you could die!!!!
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peter91)
Tell that to the hundreds killed every year by drivers doing things that never harmed anyone before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you assuming that I'd kill someone? I'm sensible.
addylad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's called having fun and it hasn't harmed anyone!

He's so annoying that he is only worried about getting in trouble with a fine or whatever. If it's such a big deal I'd pay the fine. It won't change my attitude though (EDIT)
Doing 37 in a 30 is 'fun'? Aren't you a wild one.

I'm sure it won't change your attitude. Your self-righteous, arrogant, poisonous attitude is probably irreparable by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doing 37 in a 30 is 'fun'? Aren't you a wild one.

I'm sure it won't change your attitude. Your self-righteous, arrogant, poisonous attitude is probably irreparable by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go back to the traffic wombles.

You need to get a grip really, if you're being aggressive just because I'm not following what a number on a sign says.
addylad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go back to the traffic wombles.

You need to get a grip really, if you're being aggressive just because I'm not following what a number on a sign says.
I'm being aggressive? You're just projecting your own insecurities onto me (as everyone will see when they read these posts).

Not sure why you felt the need to post that sarcastic line, but it just proves my point about your attitude and makes you look like a fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peter91)
I'm not sure if you're a troll or missed the point of my post. You can't have been driving more than what, a few months? I'm sure nearly every driver who does kill someone, prior to that event, believed they were a sensible driver, regardless of the truth of the matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I drive according to what's going on around me. It doesn't make me a troll to suggest that driving a bit faster is fine when it's a clear road. Obviously I'd knock some speed out if there were animals or pedestrians around.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm being aggressive? You're just projecting your own insecurities onto me (as everyone will see when they read these posts).

Not sure why you felt the need to post that sarcastic line, but it just proves my point about your attitude and makes you look like a fool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My attitude isn't poisonous and read my above post to Peter91 for clarification.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's this cocky attitude as to why young drivers are statistically the worst on the road, have the most accidents and why young drivers' insurance premiums are only marginally less than a mortgage.

Grow up and stop thinking you're the Stig, because you're not.
addylad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My attitude isn't poisonous and read my above post to Peter91 for clarification.
What makes you think you know how to judge the appropriate speed in a given situation, when you haven't even passed your test (and despite the fact that speed limits apply for everyone's safety)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Potally_Tissed
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're also very inexperienced. You've simply not been driving long enough to be any good at it yet.
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
It's this cocky attitude as to why young drivers are statistically the worst on the road, have the most accidents and why young drivers' insurance premiums are only marginally less than a mortgage.

Grow up and stop thinking you're the Stig, because you're not.
I have mentioned a few times that I judge according to what is going on around me, I'd never speed in a congested area or near a place such as school (that goes without saying). 7 mph isn't much to knock out if you need to. It's not like doing 50 mph in a 30 mph which I'd agree is careless. People aren't as against slow drivers as they are against faster drivers, when slow drivers can cause accidents.

What makes you think you know how to judge the appropriate speed in a given situation, when you haven't even passed your test (and despite the fact that speed limits apply for everyone's safety)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
You're also very inexperienced. You've simply not been driving long enough to be any good at it yet.
Good judgement comes from assessing situations, it's a general skill, not just applicable to driving. It gets better over time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (1)
10%
The paper was reasonable (6)
60%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
10%
It was TERRIBLE (2)
20%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed