Speed limit Watch

Maccees
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Let's all just hope the only person he kills is himself and jump ship, he's either a troll or a complete prick so there's no point arguing.
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Peter91)
Yes. As you either didn't read the link, or just ignored what it said, let me spell it out to you: the title of the study is 'Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in
Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated
Self-Assessments'.

It is about how those who are poor at something (for example driving), are incapable of realising this, as they lack the metacognitive ability to be aware.

'people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it.'

Just because YOU think you are safe does not mean you are. And statistically speaking, driving faster you're more likely to kill someone.
Driving fast doesn't mean you're incompetent. I don't care about what this study has to say TBH, it doesn't apply to me.
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by midnightice)
7mph is substantial actually when you have to apply the brakes in a hazardous situation. He's stopping you because he understands that you have a mentality that it is OK to go over the limit, when it clearly isn't.
Or maybe he wants to get as much money from me as he can by delaying the lesson :iiam:

(Original post by Maccees)
Let's all just hope the only person he kills is himself and jump ship, he's either a troll or a complete prick so there's no point arguing.
You're charming. Let me guess you don't drive.
Sayonara
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
37 compared to 30 is hardly dangerous or idiotic.

Anyway, my main objection was how my driving instructor asked me to stop just for going a bit over 30, and normally it is around 33 where he gets panicky (probably doesn't want a ticket :rolleyes:), despite everything else being good.

30 is arbitrary. Obviously I don't condone going 50 in a 30.
But on the motorway and the road is clear, it's okay to go a bit faster than 70 if you have faith in your ability.

I'm not changing my opinion just because you and others have told me to, I'm not a threat to anyone's safety for God's sake.
(Original post by Ripper-Roo)
My instructor is the worst about this. I drive according to what is going on around me. If the road is clear I think I should be able to drive a bit faster than 30. Once I did 37 in a 30 zone and was asked to pull over and listen to his lecture for 5 minutes :mad: Obviously in the test I want to pass so will have to watch the speed, but in a lesson I'm paying for, it's not on that he says I am "constantly speeding".
The driver instructor stops you because he is responsible for some of your driving. It's illegal and your driver instructor could get a speeding ticket as a result. So, it's nothing weird that he stopped you for speeding. It's not your car and he doesn't want to get any points on his license or a bad reputation.

If you've passed, I don't see a problem going 34mph on a 30mph road but I have to disagree with 37mph as you stated earlier. The police usually won't mind a few MPH over the speed limit.

Even if you have the reaction speed of superman, you can always kill someone due to stopping distances.

You will also be setting a bad example. Remember that you are not the only driver on the road. Drivers that are behind you are more likely to try and match your speed by default. By sticking to the speed limits, drivers behind are more likely to stick to the speed limit too as they will find it harder to exceed your speed (unless they overtake you and/or not behind you anymore).

You should abide by this law as this law prevented many deaths. There's no point arguing over this. Just stick to the speed limits and set a good example. I have nothing personal against you but I just wanted to get this point across.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (425)
18.69%
The paper was reasonable (1075)
47.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (504)
22.16%
It was TERRIBLE (270)
11.87%

Watched Threads