calling females 18+ 'girls' Watch

nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This doesn't really apply to males as in this kind of situation the would be called 'guys'. But does anyone else think it's weird when females over 18 call themselves/get called 'girl' ... I'm 20 and still say it myself. For example I say "There's 3 of us girls and 1 guy living in my house." And all the time on facebook uni friends post statuses/pics of them 'out with the girlies' But now I am 20 I've found myself more and more saying female when referring to females of such age, including myself. But I don't recall calling myself/people of my age woman though. As if 'girl' is too young and 'woman' is too old and I can't think of a word other than female that can be used in the same way 'guy' can mean a teenager or a male in their 20s or possibly older, instead of saying 'man'. Does this apply to anyone else ??
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. Anytime I need to label my sex I just break into song:

rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A lot of the time, women / lady gives the impression of age compared to man / guy imo.
Abigail Tompsett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vixen47)

lol to true haha
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vixen47)

I'd forgotten about this song. Yup it sums up my feelings exactly. I think part of it is still because I'm a student. If I was working full time I might feel more grown up and call myself woman.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
girl, boy
gal, guy
female, male
woman, man
lady, gentleman

I guess age may have something to do with the decision between calling someone a girl versus a woman. But using the word 'guy' as a comparison may be slightly off, due to the pairing opposite actually being 'gal' (Or at least it makes sense like that in my opinion)

You do get t-shirts with quotes like "Girls' night out!" which are most likely bought for hen nights, which usually aren't women under 18. Usually.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can't remember when I made the switch from "girl" to "woman" when referring to myself. I'm relatively sure I still called myself 'girl' when I was 20 though.
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'out with the femaless' Erm no

'just us females' Creep the **** out of here

So you think girls is too young and woman is too old so you opt for the creepy option... females
Solemn Rain
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Girls sounds 'nicer' in comparison to 'females'
username1039383
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i see 40 year olds calling themselves girls :rofl:
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ebony19)
'out with the femaless' Erm no

'just us females' Creep the **** out of here

So you think girls is too young and woman is too old so you opt for the creepy option... females
I do still call myself/my friends "girl" especially if I'm talking to my friends who are still teenagers. But in certain sentences, it seems more appropriate to use the word 'female' because woman makes me feel old.
Zakee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Out with the *****es perhaps?
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see guys around the same age being called "boys." If there's not a double standard I don't really care TBH.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alpha brah)
I see guys around the same age being called "boys." If there's not a double standard I don't really care TBH.
See I wouldn't call of my 18+ year old male friends boys, I'd always call them guys, because boys seems too young, but men sounds too old.
techno-thriller
Report 5 years ago
You still haven't got over your housemate?
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by techno-thriller)
You still haven't got over your housemate?
What do you mean? I mentioned them as an example of when I happily/automatically says 'girls'.
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My mam says 'out with the girls' and she's 44. 'Females' make it sound like we're monkeys or cats or something. I'm 22 and still use 'girl'
techno-thriller
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
What do you mean? I mentioned them as an example of when I happily/automatically says 'girls'.
Oh please, its quite clear you have feelings for him.
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Female is the creepy one
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I use "boys" as a term for my group of male friends.
"Girls" tends to be for my younger sisters / niece.

Hmmm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads