Net worth you would be content with? Watch

Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For me personally a good £1.25 million is perfect and i'd give up everything to just sit on a lounger and play the next gen of consoles.

What is it for you realistically?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me, to give up everything, probbaly double that, around 2.5m.

Provides safety for divident income growth not keeping up with inflation at times.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
For me, to give up everything, probbaly double that, around 2.5m.

Provides safety for divident income growth not keeping up with inflation at times.
Fair play, i'd still invest in like property, stocks and so on just to keep myself busy and above inflation
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Fair play, i'd still invest in like property, stocks and so on just to keep myself busy and above inflation
You wouldn't have much money to play with though.

1.25m would generate a little over 30k after tax. Your living expenses would be around 20k. In which case your gorwing your cpaital by a little over 1% ie less than inflation.

You need to be getting returns of 5%+ in the current market after deductions, which I don't think I could do :P
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
You wouldn't have much money to play with though.

1.25m would generate a little over 30k after tax. Your living expenses would be around 20k. In which case your gorwing your cpaital by a little over 1% ie less than inflation.

You need to be getting returns of 5%+ in the current market after deductions, which I don't think I could do :P
haha there are many ways to make money! i dont want to be that comfortable that i dont have to do anything. The dell boy inside of me needs to be free!!
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't particularly agree with 'worth' being used in this semantic context. A loaf of Hovis white bread is worth £1.35 in Tesco. I'm a human, I have no worth.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
(Original post by rockrunride)
Don't particularly agree with 'worth' being used in this semantic context. A loaf of Hovis white bread is worth £1.35 in Tesco. I'm a human, I have no worth.
haha when did this become the philosophy forum?
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
haha when did this become the philosophy forum?
To answer the question, I can't really place a figure on it, but who wouldn't want to be in a £1m pa job?
Le Nombre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To answer the question, I can't really place a figure on it, but who wouldn't want to be in a £1m pa job?
Given the likely work-life balance quite a lot!

My boss earned 1.15 last year and I wouldn't swap places with him for any amount of money.
pane123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
£2million would be my minimum.
gr8wizard10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
£3m I don't know why I'd need more than that, cetarus parabus.
pane123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just answer the question next time.
Dragonfly07
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Give me 50k and I'll be able to do the rest.
rockrunride
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by pane123)
Just answer the question next time.
Next time eh, Dad? :p:
BeautifulPotato
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haaaa you guys crack me up....'uh, i'd just invest in stocks and stuff.' Yes, stocks...that would be an excellent idea...:ahee:
BeautifulPotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quiddi)
Let the guys have their stocks, I've got my pretty stockings
Indeed. If I had that kind of money I'd buy like 10 horses and some cake....and stockings...but not stocks...
BeautifulPotato
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quiddi)
10 ponys (: ohh I want a horse so badly, cake makes you fat :s

When Im older and I have a millionaire husband maybe then Ill get my 10 ponies and cake ... until then education :rolleyes:
Me too my education gets in the way of me having a horse...no time and too much work...but soon! soon I will have all 10 of them. I will probably name them something cool like Santa's reindeers...
justme6263
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Minimum of £3mil for me if I am honest, it would have to be if I was going to completely drop out of working life and do my own thing. Even then it probably wouldn't be enough to completely drop out.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Probably about £2m. I'd spend £1.5m buying a number of cheap houses in somewhere like Hull, Liverpool or Newcastle (probably 15-25 houses with a rental value of about £350-£500 per month), let someone else look after renting them, spend about £300k on a house of my own and use the £200k for tiding me over in an emergency. The income from my cheap houses would, without mortage payments to worry about, and even allowing for half of them sitting empty, provide a decent enough return to keep me comfortable for the rest of my life. If my lettings company filled them all, it'd be very good indeed, even with their fees on top.

I wouldn't bother with anything too risky. But I think that would probably work.
Caedus
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
£1M would be my price to drop completely out of working life and formal education. I'd have to live quite frugally, however.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (259)
75.51%
No (84)
24.49%

Watched Threads