Rabbit Advice/Opinions/Experiences please :) Watch

dhill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,

i have a few things that i would like some honest opinions on also i thought id start a thread so we can talk about rabbit worries and nice things and whatever as i don't mind sharing any of my opinions.

But basically my rabbit is 4 in april and ive had him since he was 6 weeks old, hes always been an outdoor rabbit but more recently ive wanted him to become an indoor rabbit because i feel hed get more attention and have a better quality of life as i could offer him more. In the summer i will be moving into a house with my boyfriend and wed both like him to come inside i was wondering what the downsides could be of bringing a rabbit to live inside is when theyve always lived outdoors? my house will be completely bunny proofed and he is clean in general, also he will have way more room to run around in general and will never be in a small closed cage inside as he will permanently have enough room to run around in?
let me know what you guys think.

Another thing i wonder is when i bring him inside now to run around for a few hours will it affect him because my house is warm and then when he goes outside its so cold because we are in winter now?

Thirdly does anyone know what loud breathing is caused by? As more recently he has louder breathing the vet said its not too bad but has given him a ten day course of antibiotics just in case its mild pneumonia.
Hes recently had blocked tear ducts too and went under anisetic to have them flushed and has had the one eye flushed since while being awake but this one eye seems to still be watering.

Im grateful for any responses, i.e advice, experiences or opinions

Thank You
Mayden
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dhill)
X
You shouldn't really bring a rabbit indoors, then put them outdoors and bring them indoors etc, as the rapid change in temperature isn't easy for them to cope with. If you were to bring him indoors in winter, and have him playing outdoors in summertime, etc, that could work fine.

With the breathing, our French Lop is currently having some 'heavy' breathing too. Our vet suggested that it could be to do with him being on the larger side in regards to weight - and also dust. Are you cleaning your buns hutch out completely often enough? Some sawdust is 'dusty' and can cause respiration issues for buns.

Ours are house buns, we love it. They've chewed skirting boards, wallpaper, etc. But they're wonderful if you don't mind the odd bit of damage. Much rather have them indoors then outdoors and not seeing them all the time.
dhill
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I've actually just moved him indoors and I'm planning on keeping him indoors permanently now because I love it I do agree its much nicer them being inside! He is rather large my rabbit but I'm not sure if he's large in size rather than over weight because the vets never seems concerned about his weight, although this could be the problem! thank you this has helped
Mayden
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dhill)
Hi I've actually just moved him indoors and I'm planning on keeping him indoors permanently now because I love it I do agree its much nicer them being inside! He is rather large my rabbit but I'm not sure if he's large in size rather than over weight because the vets never seems concerned about his weight, although this could be the problem! thank you this has helped
What type of bun is he and what does he weigh? If you doubt your vet at all, I'd recommend asking around for someone who is really confident working with rabbits. Our vet is fantastic and I'm so happy we have him because there is honestly nothing better than knowing your vet knows what he's doing. The nurse also is a bun lover, so we know ours are in good hands. At other vets however we felt a bit like they were just running into the back and skimming textbooks or something, just not at all confident knowing what should be happening with a bun, so we changed. More than once!

I'm glad he's indoors and you're enjoying it! I love having my buns come and binky at me in the morning etc. It's wonderful!
Sir Killalot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can't be the only person thinking this thread was going to be about a different kind of rabbit.
Mayden
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sir Killalot)
I can't be the only person thinking this thread was going to be about a different kind of rabbit.
Haha, not if you came in through the "Animals and Pets" section!
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dhill)

But basically my rabbit is 4 in april and ive had him since he was 6 weeks old, hes always been an outdoor rabbit but more recently ive wanted him to become an indoor rabbit because i feel hed get more attention and have a better quality of life as i could offer him more. In the summer i will be moving into a house with my boyfriend and wed both like him to come inside i was wondering what the downsides could be of bringing a rabbit to live inside is when theyve always lived outdoors? my house will be completely bunny proofed and he is clean in general, also he will have way more room to run around in general and will never be in a small closed cage inside as he will permanently have enough room to run around in?
let me know what you guys think.
Thank You
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But yeah, prepare for destruction.
Mayden
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But yeah, prepare for destruction.
I've lost so many charger wires to my buns. :cry:

That and my dining room wall paper, skirting board, part of the door... carpet. Maybe I should get pictures as a warning
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mayden)
I've lost so many charger wires to my buns. :cry:

That and my dining room wall paper, skirting board, part of the door... carpet. Maybe I should get pictures as a warning
Tell me about it, my buns (one in particular) are like homing devices for wires. One time, Bishop hopped into the living room, chomped straight through my phone charger, and then RACED back out.

I maintain he knew EXACTLY what he was doing :unimpressed:
Mayden
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
Tell me about it, my buns (one in particular) are like homing devices for wires. One time, Bishop hopped into the living room, chomped straight through my phone charger, and then RACED back out.

I maintain he knew EXACTLY what he was doing :unimpressed:
They totally do! Bigfoot creeps into the kitchen now because he knows he's not supposed to be in there. He goes mooching for food but if we spot him he comes running back doing the little angry leg flick that they do. They know when they're being naughty! :rolleyes:
Viva Emptiness
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mayden)
They totally do! Bigfoot creeps into the kitchen now because he knows he's not supposed to be in there. He goes mooching for food but if we spot him he comes running back doing the little angry leg flick that they do. They know when they're being naughty! :rolleyes:
Mine live in the utility room, and one time, during the night, they had gotten under the cupboard unit which is next to the washing machine. When I woke up and went downstairs to feed them, I heard this gushing sound...

...opened the door and it was FLOODED and water was pouring from the hose leading the washing machine. Also they had chewed through the power cable and nearly burned the whole house down/fried us all!

I just wish I had seen their little faces when they chewed through the hose and water started spurting out into their faces :mmm:
demetria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1) It's fine to bring them inside as long as they're going to stay inside all winter, once you bring the rabbit in you can't change your mind until it starts getting quite warm again, and in the same way don't be sticking him outside to play in the snow if he's an indoor rabbit because it's too extreme a temperature change. He'll love the extra space It is good to have a small covered cage in the room as a base though, somewhere they can eat/drink/sleep in but you don't have to shut them in it if you don't want. Really make sure everything is bunny proofed because anything they can get their teeth onto they will, including wallpaper! Oh and if he's not neutered you definitely need to get that done before you move him inside, neutering makes rabbits much cleaner and easier to litter train and also less destructive

2) You shouldn't really be doing that unless you put him in a room that's not been heated at all because the temperature change wouldn't do him any good

3) Heavy breathing is usually caused by being too warm or in pain, did the vet check his back teeth because molar spurs would cause pain (and therefore heavy breathing) and watering eyes? I'm sure they will of done if they went to the effort of putting him under and flushing his eye ducts out but some vets really don't have a clue about rabbits

There's a good rabbit forum called Rabbits United, lots of very experienced people on there and plenty who've had house rabbits and dealt with rabbits with all sorts of health problems so might be worth checking it out
mxcs
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sometimes more mature rabbits get scared or anxious if they're moved from their regular home, even if it's from outside the house to indoors. Mine used to love running around the garden, living room and garage when he was a baby, but now gets horribly freaked out if he's moved from his house or the adjacent area since he's so used to being in the same place now. I'm sure bunnies adjust eventually, but keep it in mind that even a small change in environment could be quite upsetting for an older bunny
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (201)
22.09%
The paper was reasonable (388)
42.64%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
19.12%
It was TERRIBLE (147)
16.15%

Watched Threads