Turn on thread page Beta

Help with accommodation costs. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, as i'm not sure who to ask otherwise.
    I have an unconditional place at Glasgow university, where i'm hoping to study next year. I also have crohn's disease, so I need to stay in accommodation that is en-suite, however en-suite accommodation is around £30 more per week than a standard room.
    Does anyone now whether the DSA are likely help out with the difference in accommodation costs, or whether this is down to the university? The university say they can provide mini fridges for medication, but that's about all the disability related information I can find.
    thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feathergirl)
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, as i'm not sure who to ask otherwise.
    I have an unconditional place at Glasgow university, where i'm hoping to study next year. I also have crohn's disease, so I need to stay in accommodation that is en-suite, however en-suite accommodation is around £30 more per week than a standard room.
    Does anyone now whether the DSA are likely help out with the difference in accommodation costs, or whether this is down to the university? The university say they can provide mini fridges for medication, but that's about all the disability related information I can find.
    thanks in advance
    I can't say whether or not you can (although you should be able to) but the best way to get answers is to phone up everybody - your university (admissions, accommodation, access, accounting etc.), SFE, and any disability support groups. They'll be able to give you answers and by starting asking questions now you're much more likely to have the support in place by the time you start.

ReputationRep:
    thanks in advance
    DSA can be used to pay the difference between an ensuite and standard room, if an ensuite is needed for reasons of health/disability. But I can't tell you if you'll certainly get it as it needs to be discussed during your Needs Assessment and recommended by your assessor, should he or she be able to.

It would be a good idea to contact the disability and/or accommodation office anyway, if you haven't already, as ensuite rooms might be popular and you ought to be high priority due to your health condition.

ReputationRep:
    It may be worthwhile having this identified in medical evidence i.e. supporting letter from your doctor stating why you would need an en-suite room, as SFE have been knocking these back lately.

ReputationRep:
    thanks in advance
    also the way i understand it you must pay first, then you will be reimbursed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    also the way i understand it you must pay first, then you will be reimbursed.
    Thats right- you may need to do a claim which identifies the standard room cost and additional cost, but sometimes this is set out in the assessment report.

ReputationRep:
    thanks all, it's good to know there's help out there. I've spoken to someone who does DSA assessments, and they said that as long as I have very good evidence of need, DSA usually pay the difference in costs. Luckily I have a good team of doctors who are very happy to help give me a supporting letter.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.