Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0YjL9rZyR0

Please watch as much as possible of the above (preferably the entire thing) before responding.

Now that you've done so . . .

I think the 3 main quotes which summarise his talk are:

"How can a political system be morally legitimate if it is not voted in? Well, how about competency?"

"Electoral democracies are caught in a cycle of elect and regret."

"The significance of China's example is not that it provides an universal alternative, but to show that viable alternatives exist."

Do you agree with these statements? Do you find fault with any of his arguments? Did this video change your view of China/democracy at all?

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally prefer to live in a country that's ruled by the wise, not the everyday people. I'm fairly confident that most voters (myself included) lack the expertise to know how things work, let alone how things should be run.

As for the video, not ALL democracies have problems like those stated.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Can only work efficiently in a country where most of the population is intelligent i.e. politically aware and voting for someone for a correct reason.

Now stop trying to impose it on others who are happy without it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.