The Student Room Group

anyone have their own website that makes money?

Anyone have their own website that they make money from? or a part time income online of some kind?

Im thinking about doing something like that, but not sure where to start.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You start with an idea, then you start a website, then maybe one day if you're very lucky you get the opportunity to monetise it and make back some of the money you've invested.

Starting a website for profit is unlikely to get you anywhere unless it's for a business that already exists and is already profitable.
Reply 2
I have tried building websites but it takes a heck of a lot of work to get people to your websites and the reward can be minimal.
I am currently making a small amount of money on the website fiverr.com selling different services to help small businesses. If you need any more detailed advice, just ask. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by source
Anyone have their own website that they make money from? or a part time income online of some kind?

Im thinking about doing something like that, but not sure where to start.

Yep. Been working on my site for a few months now. Generating a small amount of money a day. But adding loads more features as I get more and more visitors (roughly 20 unique a day so far). Aiming to get 500+ visitors a day.

Built using the MEAN stack. Which is mongo db, express, angularjs and node js.

http://www.specialoffershopper.co.uk

Let me know if you have any questions.
If you're just looking for a way to get money using the internet, you're probably better off making Youtube videos and hoping they're good enough to become popular.
Reply 5
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
If you're just looking for a way to get money using the internet, you're probably better off making Youtube videos and hoping they're good enough to become popular.

Not really true to be honest, you just need to find something that there is enough interest in and build a website for it.
Reply 6
Never heard of the mean stack, does that need any technical know-how? or is it easy to use?

I have been looking into wordpress (http://www.wordpresshostinguk.org/) which is free to use as long as you get a host which has the one-click install,
i was looking at the reviews and people seem to say you don't need any technical knowledge - have you ever tried it?

Yes, I think youtube is a great way to start, as long as you make your videos clear and you talk properly and make it entertaining as well as useful for people who will watch it - but i have yet to go for it still planning stage.

But your site sounds cool, even if you make something however little per month, must be an awesome feeling!
Reply 7
I'm getting about 600 unique hits a month & 40,0000 page views a month with www.circumvent.it. Difficult to monetize..
Reply 8
Cal97, what software do you use for your website?

I am thinking of using wordpress for the first time. do you know anything about it?
Reply 9
I did it whilst I was at school and earned a decent amount of money after selling the site. I have since created another monetized site now which brings in a few thousand pounds a year in revenue, not exactly huge but it helps. The site gets a little under 1,000 unique visitors a day.

I would warn you that it is not easy building and monetizing your first website from scratch. You can't just make any old site - either you need to heavily target it at a particular niche and move up in the search engines for key terms relating to that niche (though 'classic' SEO isn't quite as relevant to building traffic as it was a few years ago), or you need to create content that is interesting enough to go viral through social networks, or both. Of course, luck comes into play as well.
Original post by realist88
Aiming to get 500+ visitors a day.

http://www.specialoffershopper.co.uk

Let me know if you have any questions.

500? You're dreaming; HUKD already provides exactly what you do, with the exception being their's is already so well used, you've not a hope in hell of competing, not to mention the tie ins with Quidco and similar.
Source,

I think WordPress is a great idea to use for setting up websites. It's fast, easy and free, except the hosting part.
Reply 12
Original post by source
Cal97, what software do you use for your website?

I am thinking of using wordpress for the first time. do you know anything about it?

Wordpress is great for a start. There are plenty of free themes to get you started. You'll need to buy a domain and hosting account.

I personally use gandi.net for domain names and hostgator for hosting.

This video is useful for a quick set up. You don't have to use the same domain/hosting companies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjEOMuHShVg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUJA3_wcx85ZbllEu46DeO9w

I'd recommend wordpress for a blog type site. Anything more and you might want to learn a language.
Reply 13
My mate from high school was making a money from ad revenue and donations from an anime website which allowed anime fans to watch videos of loads of different anime. He doesn't run it anymore but was making a decent amount from it maybe £50 a month. He said in the end before he shut down his website, he wasn't making much because the cost of web hosting and other website related costs meant he wasn't making much.
Original post by mos182
My mate from high school was making a money from ad revenue and donations from an anime website which allowed anime fans to watch videos of loads of different anime. He doesn't run it anymore but was making a decent amount from it maybe £50 a month. He said in the end before he shut down his website, he wasn't making much because the cost of web hosting and other website related costs meant he wasn't making much.

plus he was no doubt hosting copyrighted material?
Reply 15
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
plus he was no doubt hosting copyrighted material?

He wasn't hosted it, just had links to websites which contained the videos which meant that he avoided getting into trouble
Reply 16
I used to have a site based around affiliate marketing. Was doing quite well however rankings dropped and I just didn't have enough time for it. Got some good domains though. Have a browse round exceem.co.uk it's a good resource
Reply 17
Yeh i have a hosting website providing web hosting, servers and emails. is basic really and brings in some money.
Hello!

Yes I've had previous ones that did in the past, but then university came along and I was far to busy.

I've owned a small drop-shipping site. The site had a few customers, but nothing big. I wouldn't really call it an income, more like pocket money once costs are taken away.

The 2nd site was a flash games site. Let me tell you, there was a lot of competition. The main revenue was from adverts and the visits usually consisted of on time visits, most likely from the time I spent on SEO. But people don't hang around on these types of sites unless they're popular.

Feel free if you want to know anything :smile:
Not a website, but I am occasionally open for contracting which means I do make a nice amount of money. If you're interested, I helped create/code MultiCube, a Minecraft server now owned by The Syndicate Project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending