Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Basically, I got really, really ill this year and while I am getting back on my feet, it's a slow recovery which is putting a huge strain on my academic studies... which is why I am taking a year out. If I don't, I'll fail.

BUT due to this my student loan/SAAS is being stopped this year. I've already signed a lease for private accommodation for the entire year and now I have no way to pay it off.

My parents might be able to pull some strings but if I can't find someone to fill my room next semester this is going to be a huge financial burden on them and they are already struggling as it is. They're already so stressed out! Working long hours daily, just to support their kids. Like, they literally never do anything for themselves and just look so depressed all the time. Not to mention, my relationship with them is going to be destroyed because they're already struggling to come to terms with me failing after all the time/money they've invested into my education.

So guys, can you think of anyway I can get my room filled a.s.a.p.?!! Do you know of anyone who is looking for a room? Or anything I can do to prevent SAAS from stopping?

Just any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated because I'm stuck otherwise.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

really sorry to hear that, must be a terribly stressful situation.
    What I can recommend is to talk to as many students as possible and spread the word that you need a replacement asap. Maybe you should contact Dundee's accommodation and international student's office and tell them about the room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hullstudent)
    Hi,

really sorry to hear that, must be a terribly stressful situation.
    What I can recommend is to talk to as many students as possible and spread the word that you need a replacement asap. Maybe you should contact Dundee's accommodation and international student's office and tell them about the room?
    Hey,

Thanks for replying. I am definitely going to contact accommodation at the uni in case they have an exchange student waiting list or something like that but I'm pretty sure the accommodation I am staying at is their direct competitor, so I don't have high hopes about this.

I'm going to try and put leaflets up around the campus. Hopefully, that will gather some interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El-Oh-Vee-Eee)
    Hello,

Basically, I got really, really ill this year and while I am getting back on my feet, it's a slow recovery which is putting a huge strain on my academic studies... which is why I am taking a year out. If I don't, I'll fail.

BUT due to this my student loan/SAAS is being stopped this year. I've already signed a lease for private accommodation for the entire year and now I have no way to pay it off.

My parents might be able to pull some strings but if I can't find someone to fill my room next semester this is going to be a huge financial burden on them and they are already struggling as it is. They're already so stressed out! Working long hours daily, just to support their kids. Like, they literally never do anything for themselves and just look so depressed all the time. Not to mention, my relationship with them is going to be destroyed because they're already struggling to come to terms with me failing after all the time/money they've invested into my education.

So guys, can you think of anyway I can get my room filled a.s.a.p.?!! Do you know of anyone who is looking for a room? Or anything I can do to prevent SAAS from stopping?

Just any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated because I'm stuck otherwise.

Thank you.
    Hi,
    It occurs to me; have you checked out the legal position?

If it is easy to relet for the landlord, then in your circumstances of illness would have thought there is a way around without being liable for full amount?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gustavus)
    Hi,
    It occurs to me; have you checked out the legal position?

If it is easy to relet for the landlord, then in your circumstances of illness would have thought there is a way around without being liable for full amount?

Hi,

I did ask the management if they could help me out in any way and they said that their policies were clear and that I wouldn't be excused unless I found a replacement - myself.

I'm not sure how to go about looking into the legal aspects of this, any ideas?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would speak to CAB or Shelter.
    Also the fact that it is in a contract doesn't necessarily mean you have to comply. It has to be a fair term.

Deffo you need legal advice.

ReputationRep:
    Also be very clear you say the reason you're leaving the property due to illness.

So are you already living there of for a future tenancy?

I do recall hearing of someone that had to drop out of their contract months before they took it up, and just didn't pay. The big letting Co had. More than enough time to fill it with someone else!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.