Cambridge International AS/A-Level Examination Watch

anitaintan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi!

I want to ask if has anyone take Cambridge International AS/A-Level examination and not GCE instead?

I'm not from UK and now at 12nd grade,I'm planning to take CIE A-Level on 2014. However, I heard that International Examination doesn't carry UCAS point and you couldn't get A*, is that true? And is there any significant differences betwen those two?

I don't know if it's fine to ask it here (since it's A-level room) but I considering to take IB Diploma. Could you please give me some of your opinion whether should I take A-Level or IB?

Thank you
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by anitaintan)
Hi!

I want to ask if has anyone take Cambridge International AS/A-Level examination and not GCE instead?

I'm not from UK and now at 12nd grade,I'm planning to take CIE A-Level on 2014. However, I heard that International Examination doesn't carry UCAS point and you couldn't get A*, is that true? And is there any significant differences betwen those two?

I don't know if it's fine to ask it here (since it's A-level room) but I considering to take IB Diploma. Could you please give me some of your opinion whether should I take A-Level or IB?

Thank you
Lots of people take CIE A levels.
CIE A levels will be considered equal to UK A levels if you apply through UCAS.
CIE do award an A* grade though the conditions are slightly different from the UK examiners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anitaintan
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for answering my question, it help me a lot..

About the differences, could you explain me how it works? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arieisit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much for answering my question, it help me a lot..

About the differences, could you explain me how it works? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't take the IB unless you like no free time at this stage. Although CIE is a bit more difficult that the UK a levels it is easier than the IB.

Anyway, the differences between CIE and the UK exams are
CIE examinations are not modular (ie you only write one exam covering all topics you learned for 1 year)

That's the main difference really, the others are pretty minor.

They give Uniform Percentage Mark and NOT UMS scores. The uniform percentage mark is always out of 100 where the ums is not always so.

Toget an A* in CIE is more straightforward than the UK's system. CIE just takes an average of your AS and A2 uniform percentage mark and once it crosses 90 you get an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile
anitaintan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arieisit)
Don't take the IB unless you like no free time at this stage. Although CIE is a bit more difficult that the UK a levels it is easier than the IB.

Anyway, the differences between CIE and the UK exams are
CIE examinations are not modular (ie you only write one exam covering all topics you learned for 1 year)

That's the main difference really, the others are pretty minor.

They give Uniform Percentage Mark and NOT UMS scores. The uniform percentage mark is always out of 100 where the ums is not always so.

Toget an A* in CIE is more straightforward than the UK's system. CIE just takes an average of your AS and A2 uniform percentage mark and once it crosses 90 you get an A*.
So, for example if i take math, biology and english i need to work on only one papers for each and not module (which i read has 3 different paper), is that right?

And do CIE has AS/A2 one sitting exam? I look on the exam program and little bit confused. There are AS exam and then A-level exam. Is A-level equal to A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So, for example if i take math, biology and english i need to work on only one papers for each and not module (which i read has 3 different paper), is that right?

And do CIE has AS/A2 one sitting exam? I look on the exam program and little bit confused. There are AS exam and then A-level exam. Is A-level equal to A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is usually a p1, p2 etc for each subject at AS and A2; and (AS and A2) are written 1 year apart.

Using Maths as an example.

At AS you will be required to write a paper 1 and a paper 2.
At A2 you will required to write two other papers.
anitaintan
Rep:
?
Ok, thank you for your information, it help me a lot. Hope i could do my CIE A-level exam well next year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arieisit
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok, thank you for your information, it help me a lot. Hope i could do my CIE A-level exam well next year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Always glad to help and goid luck with you exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (186)
14.32%
The paper was reasonable (725)
55.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (289)
22.25%
It was TERRIBLE (99)
7.62%

Watched Threads