name 10 books to make u intellectually well rounded e.g fiction history science stuff Watch

wag12k12dunkno
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
name 10 books to basically make u most clever but well rounded so different genres
Tufto
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's not exactly how it works, I'm afraid .
ChaosisaLadder
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can name ten books everyone should read to be well rounded. Probably won't make you clever though but might broaden your thinking.

Plato - The Republic
Sun Tzu - The Art of War
Einstein - Relativity
Newton - Philosophae Naturalis Principia Mathmatica
Darwin - Origin of Species
Machiavelli - The Prince
Orwell - 1984
Lao Tsu - Tao Te Ching
Freud - The Interpretation of Dreams
Golding - Lord of the Flies
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Gödel, Escher, Bach

Cloud Atlas

that should get you started
GR3YFOXXX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hawking - A brief history of time
Dostoyevski - Crime and Punishment
Machiavelli - The Prince
Marx - Das Capital
Pilger - The new rulers of the world
1education
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Here's some suggestions http://www.amazon.com/Books-need-rea.../RRAVQ7P97UY9N

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Levi – If This Is A Man
Nietzsche – The Gay Science
Clavell – Shogun
Dostoyevsky – The Brothers Karamazov
Blake – Songs of Innocence and of Experience
Kafka – The Trial
Bryson – Notes From A Small Island
Spinoza – Ethics
Beowulf
Rushdie – Midnight's Children

All very important to me. No order.
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChaosisaLadder)
I can name ten books everyone should read to be well rounded. Probably won't make you clever though but might broaden your thinking.

Plato - The Republic
Sun Tzu - The Art of War
Einstein - Relativity
Machiavelli - The Prince
Orwell - 1984
Lao Tsu - Tao Te Ching
Yeah, they will.
Solemn Rain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ChaosisaLadder)

Plato - The Republic
Sun Tzu - The Art of War
Einstein - Relativity
Machiavelli - The Prince
Orwell - 1984
Lao Tsu - Tao Te Ching
*Grabs Kindle*
Solemn Rain
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
Levi – If This Is A Man
Nietzsche – The Gay Science
Clavell – Shogun
Dostoyevsky – The Brothers Karamazov
Blake – Songs of Innocence and of Experience
Kafka – The Trial
Bryson – Notes From A Small Island
Spinoza – Ethics
Beowulf
Rushdie – Midnight's Children

All very important to me. No order.
*grabs the kindle for the 2nd time*
edwinemanuelposse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I love al kinda scifi, but to name one book : Stephen King : The Talisman !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tal...traub_novel%29
Princess-Zahra
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The best book to read (before you take on any book) is this one.

Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren: How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading

The first part of the book deals with the philosophy of reading and levels of reading. It argues that most people are only at the level of semi-literacy, and the second part of the book deals with tips and suggestions on how to read different books and analysis them. From Science to Literature everything is covered.
pierreboobvier
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've just about read of all of Shakespeare's work now. Absolutely incredible. He rules.
member403966
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anything written by John Pilger. Your life will change.
jord089
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Princess-Zahra)
The best book to read (before you take on any book) is this one.

Mortimer Adler and Charles Van Doren: How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading

The first part of the book deals with the philosophy of reading and levels of reading. It argues that most people are only at the level of semi-literacy, and the second part of the book deals with tips and suggestions on how to read different books and analysis them. From Science to Literature everything is covered.
Sounds like a good book this I will have to read it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lord Fifa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fracesca Simons- Horrid Henry Gets Rich Quick. Some of the concepts might be difficult to comprehend but overall I think the book deals with the fundamental economic issues that I feel need to be addressed. The book itself is a veritable encyclopaedia of free market economics, and I have learned more about capitalism from it than any other single economics book. It is, however very long and sometimes technical, so I recommend reading it selectively according to your interest.

Kinkerz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm going to deviate away from the pretentious, hardcore philosophy and history volumes that have been mentioned thus far. These are books that everyone wants to have read, but nobody other than the masochistic amongst us actually wants to read. The following are books that you might find fun:

Fiction
If you want to read a master of the English language: P.G. Wodehouse. By reading his work you'll see entirely new and [for all practical purposes] unique ways of manipulating words. Also, with P.G.W., you'll laugh a lot and generally find your morale soaring. The guy was an absolute genius.

Non-fiction
For a touch of help thinking in a straight line when society, with advertisements and slanted media output, continuously attempts to subvert you, Bad Science by Ben Goldacre is a really great read.

If you want to get better versed with the history of science, A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson will give you a rich and wonderfully entertaining summary. This is a really brilliant book. I actually can't recommend it strongly enough and wish it was mandatory reading at secondary school.

Physics has changed quite a lot over the last century and having some awareness of the discoveries during this time and what the future looks like is interesting to read about. Brian Greene writes really well on this topic and his book The Elegant Universe is good. You could also go for A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, but I think the former takes you through the timeline better.

It can get quite difficult to persevere with at times (the author seems to enjoy long-winded explanations), but reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman really affected me! The end result of this book is that you actually change the way you think about thinking, which makes more of a difference to your life than you might expect.

Bounce by Matthew Syed altered my way of thinking about accomplishments. The book is focused on natural talent vs. practice and he provides a series of arguments and experiments that demonstrate just how insignificant natural ability is in the face of extensive practice.

EDIT:
(Original post by GR3YFOXXX)
Hawking - A brief history of time
Dostoyevski - Crime and Punishment
Machiavelli - The Prince
Marx - Das Capital
Pilger - The new rulers of the world
Come on. Unless studying it as part of your university course, who in their right mind is going to attempt to unpick the meandering complexity of that?
GR3YFOXXX
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kinkerz)
I'm going to deviate away from the pretentious, hardcore philosophy and history volumes that have been mentioned thus far. These are books that everyone wants to have read, but nobody other than the masochistic amongst us actually wants to read. The following are books that you might find fun:

Fiction
If you want to read a master of the English language: P.G. Wodehouse. By reading his work you'll see entirely new and [for all practical purposes] unique ways of manipulating words. Also, with P.G.W., you'll laugh a lot and generally find your morale soaring. The guy was an absolute genius.

Non-fiction
For a touch of help thinking in a straight line when society, with advertisements and slanted media output, continuously attempts to subvert you, Bad Science by Ben Goldacre is a really great read.

If you want to get better versed with the history of science, A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson will give you a rich and wonderfully entertaining summary. This is a really brilliant book. I actually can't recommend it strongly enough and wish it was mandatory reading at secondary school.

Physics has changed quite a lot over the last century and having some awareness of the discoveries during this time and what the future looks like is interesting to read about. Brian Greene writes really well on this topic and his book The Elegant Universe is good. You could also go for A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, but I think the former takes you through the timeline better.

It can get quite difficult to persevere with at times (the author seems to enjoy long-winded explanations), but reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman really affected me! The end result of this book is that you actually change the way you think about thinking, which makes more of a difference to your life than you might expect.

Bounce by Matthew Syed altered my way of thinking about accomplishments. The book is focused on natural talent vs. practice and he provides a series of arguments and experiments that demonstrate just how insignificant natural ability is in the face of extensive practice.

EDIT:

Come on. Unless studying it as part of your university course, who in their right mind is going to attempt to unpick the meandering complexity of that?
I fully concede that it is a difficult read. But regardless of your academic discipline it provides an extremely interesting view of classical economic theory. It is definitely a rewarding read.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try some science fiction.

William Gibson invented the term Cyberspace, also kind of foresaw the internet. Start with Neuromancer, as everyone does.

Robert Heinlen is a bit mad, but if you want to do some deep thinking about the nature of citizenship and you don't particularly want to read Pericles's Funeral Oration from Thucydides, then you could do so much worse than Starship Troopers. Another book that has a great deal futurism in it, the American military were obsessed with it in the 60s and 70s.

In a similar vein, you can also try Ender's Game which makes Hunger Games look like Peppa Pig. You have to look past Orson Scott Card's politics on sexuality, though.
Megsandmogs
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wouldn't any book broden your mind and creativity. It doesn't matter what you read, as long as you enjoy the book it hardly matters what others think.
If you feel like that about any book, then your mind has been opened intellectually, is some aspects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads